Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone modded there vy exec grille???

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
no I tried that one first up..the SS grill was a pain compared to the exec. But when I got the bonnet scoop I noticed how they attached the mesh and thats how I did it...it seems to hold quite firm and gives it a much nastier look than the standard Grill.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
well im gonna give it a go soon lol just dont wanna **** it up :)

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just take it slow and you wont stuff it up...I was the same way...but I must admit I bought another Grill for the SS off ebay just in case...hehehehe.

Still got too...didn't need it after all.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
yeah i bought a spare lol im gonna do it to the spare lol did u sand the plastic ??? what paint did u use and did u clear coat after lol sorry about all the questions

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep I sanded the Grill after I filled in the missing sections from the sides and bottom ( where the bar & Lion badge sit)

Once I cut them away from the frame using a dremel with a fine cutting wheel I fibreglassed the outside and filled the inside and sanded until smooth.

I used Septone spray putty to fill any small inpurfections before I sprayed a primer coat of K&H Plastic primer. once dry I then finished it with K&H Satin Black Bumper & Trim paint and then sealed it with Satin clear coat.

Once all was dry I then fitted the Mesh to the wire lugs and bolted it back in.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 2008_0913_150331.JPG
    2008_0913_150331.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 327

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
thanks mate yeah helps loads

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
i bought a spare incase too, but not happy the way it holds in there, im going to try fibreglass. cheers for the tip! :thumbsup:

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0648.jpg

it looks neater than this now. I wasnt happy with the finish so took it all apart, re attached and used new mesh, (same stuff) but i will take it apart again to fibreglass now :)

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks great, I like the way it gives the Lion a platform to stand out from. I noticed after I did mine that the CAI works a hell off a lot better as it now gives heaps of cold air rammed into the SS Inductions Bigmouth kit and with the Air ram plate just behind the grill I have noticed the car runs cooler and has alot more grunt.

but I must say love your work...