Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone on here have an interest in Aviation?

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
When I was a kid I only wanted to do one of two things for a crust when I grew up, it was either Pimpin or Flying. No seriously, either a Truckie or a Pilot. But coming from a somewhat disadvantaged background where money was always short, a headstart in aviation wasn't available and being colourblind seriously limits options as a commercial pilot. After working a few deadend jobs, I started earning decent money and started lessons at Hoxton Park in a Skipper. After a while, money dried up and so did the lessons.
I had done the pre-solo medical and failed the colour screen test. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The doctor informed me to go Sydney uni's opthamalgic department for a Farnsworth Lantern Test to gauge the severity of the colourblindness. Depending upon the outcome, a dispensation may be awarded and Night VFR and Night IFR ratings can still be attained.

I have been for a few more lessons with Schofields at Bankstown Airport a few years ago, but once again funding is scarce. All up I've got about 22 hours in total. It's not much, but at least if I'm on a flight and the captain and co-pilot both have the fish, and I had the chicken, I might be able to get it down. But having crashed heaps of heavies on approach on FSX, I think I'd be making an announcement to the passengers to put their heads between heir legs and kiss their backsides goodbye.

But at least I come good with my ambitions, I'm driving semi's for a living and have at least completed the basics of training. When things become more financially stable and I've got more disposable income, I'll be going back to complete my license.

For now I'm content doing circuits on flight sim.

My favourite aircraft would have to be from WW2, including Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire, Avro Vulcan, Super Mosquito, Grumann F4F, Bearcat. Really there's just to many to list, there's so many beautifully designed aircraft from that era that still look good today. What I would give for a De Lorean with an operational flux capacitor and choof off back to the end of the war and stash a few of the old war birds in a barn somewhere.

Yeah ive heard of the colourblindness issue, even if you are able to attain the specific ratings, would you be actually able to attain a job with an airline?

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
I haven't really looked into it on the employment side of things. But if you have the qualifications I don't really see the problem. And theres also the Pilot shortage, much the same as the driver shortage we're experiencing, so you'd be hopeful of your chances.

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
Guys, i realise i am bumping this thread.. just wanted to add my bit.

About to start Bachelor of Aviation, have the money saved to get me through to CPL.

Hoping for a job in the long term flying the heavy metal.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Good Luck!

Guys, i realise i am bumping this thread.. just wanted to add my bit.

About to start Bachelor of Aviation, have the money saved to get me through to CPL.

Hoping for a job in the long term flying the heavy metal.

While aviation is slowing in the GFC, before it hit they were predicting a big shortage of pilots world wide. If you are young enough, you will be able to get your chance when it recovers. Might have to be patient for a while, but things could even be picking up by the time you finish your degree.

I must have missed this thread when it was live last year. I have had a life long interest and connection with aviation. A long time ago, I completed an aeronautical engineering degree at Sydney University. In my early thirty's, I beame a pilot in the RAAF, flying Caribou, Hercules and finally Boeing 707. Finally called it a day after a series of non-flying postings. When the Caribou retires later this year, my logbook will be as obsolete as me.

Had a Qantas interview once, but decided to cancel it the day before because I did not find the thought of airline flying attractive. Also had Cathay Pacific interview, but the wife was totally against living in Hong Kong.

Lots of good memories, and a great part of my life.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i was in airforce cadets, go to a few airshows, with AAFC went on a couple of flights in the C130s, PC-9 once, got to have a realy good look around a RAAF FA-18, went on a couple of flights in another plane that i cant remember the name of right now and has been since decommisioned

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
In flight training now, just about to move up from the 152 to the 82. got 15 1/2 hours up and LOVE it. i started flying before i purchased my first car (trying to be like philthy) if that counts.

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
I am also training now.

Anyone else headed for airlines etc??

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I'm in training now. Then I hope to go with REX for a year or 2 to build up my hours and then piss off to QANTAS. what about you SwordFish

SwordFish

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vZ
What do you mean just 'go with REX'

They require a minimum 800hrs Total Time, Including 350hrs Multi Engine IFR command.

Even if you had those hours you would still be VERY unlikely to get the gig, as there are hundreds of aussie pilots with 1000s of turbine hours waiting for jobs like that.

For your sake, i trust you werent being serious in your post because to say the least, that would of been VERY short sighted of you.