Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Anyone running E85 on NA high compression builds?

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
As title suggests I have purchased a VE SS S1 with a built motor 13:1 comp big cam and race heads. It made 360 rwkw on 98 fresh after build when dynoed in summer. Previous owner did have plans to run E85 however didn't end up eventuating for reasons I am not aware.

Just wondering what gains I would see on E85 and what fuel system changes I would need to make. I'm pretty sure its running the original fuel system and injectors. Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As a personnel choice, I don't use E85 unless I need to,
I only use it if, and when normal unleaded is more expensive than STD unleaded,
I didn't notice any power improvement with my L77, well not that I have noticed it suburbia, and out on the highway, :confused:
otherwise I just sit with the cruise control on, krusing along. :D
Apart from that, it doesn't last as long, and the economy if poor.
I did notice it uses around 2.8L/100 k/m when idling, :eek:
Where I noticed it idles between 2.0 > 2.4 L/100 k/m with E10, 91, 98. :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A few blokes run E85 and they just retune for it. E85 needs more fuel compared to regular petrol, 91, 95 or 98. If you don't retune you run the risk of leaning out. I heard of a bloke a while back who tuned his bus for straight alcohol. But that requires significant work. As a general rule straight alcohol uses 2.25 times more fuel than regular petrol.
In theory E85 should make more power but I'm not sure the percentage is high enough that you would notice the gains except on the dyno. Where as straight alcohol you will feel it in the seat for sure.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
running 13:1 comp u will see good gains from E85 as using petrol its prob too high and only thing is your cam prob lowers the dynamic compression to help it out, if u tune for it with that engine u will see gains and u will use more but the gains are worth it just go flex so u can use any percentage of ethanol when u want

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just wondering what gains I would see on E85 and what fuel system changes I would need to make. I'm pretty sure its running the original fuel system and injectors. Cheers

You should upgrade to a series 2 fuel system, injectors, fuel pump and flex sensor.
Then get it retuned on E85.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
Cheers guys.

What sort of gains are we talking here 10kw or 30kw? Wouldn't mind cracking the 400kw. I'm also working on a ported inlet manifold with posts removed and radius mod.

Does the S2 fuel system handle 400kw on e85?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I didn't notice any power improvement with my L77, well not that I have noticed it suburbia, and out on the highway, :confused:

The factory flex tune won't really compare, but I do know somebody that said it made his SV6 torquey.

Cheers guys.

What sort of gains are we talking here 10kw or 30kw? Wouldn't mind cracking the 400kw. I'm also working on a ported inlet manifold with posts removed and radius mod.

Does the S2 fuel system handle 400kw on e85?

You may or may not see gains in overall power in terms of a KW figure, but E85's real strength is it's ability to reduce detonation which means you can dial in more timing and increase the torque significantly. It will only really benefit areas of the tune that are being held back by detonation.

Really doubt the standard fuel system will support 400kw on E85 (I'm guessing the Series 2 system is just the factory E85 compatible equivalent which will probably still be inadequate). You really need to talk to your tuner or look at similar builds, the injectors might be fine because the car is N/A, but at a guess as above you probably need to double your fuel flow capacity to be on the safe side of feeding it.