Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone with a vn..

kaziya098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec 89
Um on my vn under the bonnet i have no radiator cap anywhere, i cant find it?
ive always kept decent engine coolant but on vps and vs's around the fan part is the radiator cap..mine doesnt have one? or if it does its hidden under this mass of plastic by the fan belt.
Just seems really odd, ive owned a vc and the cap was in that exact spot too
ill see if i can find a pic

kaziya098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec 89
P2060241.JPG

as u can see in this pic the radiator cap is clearly visible, mine isnt there and i cannot find it by tracing wires to it.do i have to take the plastic off by the fan?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Is yours an 8?

kaziya098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec 89
Nope 6, family friend whos a mechanic had a quick look and couldnt find it either LOL

this means apart from services my car hasnt had new water in it for umm months? but yeah my bay is basicaly identical to that pic apart from the motor the CAI and also my engine coolant lid doesnt have those wires coming out connecting to something else its just a lid

kaziya098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec 89
Ive only been filling the coolant tank on the left in that pic with water/coolant

but i find it seriously odd that there is no separate radiator cap to fill just water into it?

so basically all fluid like that just goes into my coolant tank as i have been doing?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ive only been filling the coolant tank on the left in that pic with water/coolant

but i find it seriously odd that there is no separate radiator cap to fill just water into it?

so basically all fluid like that just goes into my coolant tank as i have been doing?
This is why I asked if it was a 6 or an 8. As stated, you fill it through the coolant tank.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged

i dont see why its such a problem, firstly your 'coolant tank' is different to the one you posted. you fill it up like your normal radiator, with the engine running and fill it right up and keep topping it up until the level stops dropping. most people change to the series 2 setup with the radiator cap once the original radiator gives way, but u need to change your header tank to the series 2 overflow bottle like the one in the pic you posted.

kaziya098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec 89
well my car didnt come with a manual, this is my first vn so i had no idea u had to do that but my tank doesnt overflow its just a tank u fill it goes nowhere that i can see. i just didnt understand it since everyone who owns a vn (but me) has a normal setup. Id love for someone to reply here and say they have a setup like that.
if i can get a pic of my engine bay ill post it