Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apple iPhone 3G S

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Still the most over rated phone. Still not compatible with your Windows OS. Still below par camera and video. It just reminds me of an Ipod touch that makes calls and does some internet.

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
Mines being sent to me on monday-tuesday.

Anythings better then this brick i have now =P

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
well i got the iphone, think i was 38th person in Australia to get one connected or some **** well thats what they told me anyway. yeah sooo its the same as the last one except a bit faster....... big mistake on my part. ahhwell crap happens

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Yeah I'm a big fan of iPhones since I got mine last year but I'm not too sure the 3G S is really that much of an upgrade? I'm aware that the 3.0 software (which is now available on ordinary 3G phones anyway) allows you to have MMS, tethering, voice notes and a whole bunch of other 'new' capabilities however I haven't noticed a single new thing to the iPhone? I have had MMS capabilities on my iPhone for over 6 months now, it just wasn't an Apple endorsed product. The iPhone 'hackers' have created all of the 'new' programs which Apple is now releasing months prior. I realise the hardware upgrade in the iPhone 3G S however is it really that much of a difference? No matter what happens its still a phone not a super computer... If it was a worthwhile gain I'd be interested however I'm just not that sure that the 3G S is offering anything new?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
so this is why people were lined up outside the optus shop at 7am the other morning

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
Yeah I'm a big fan of iPhones since I got mine last year but I'm not too sure the 3G S is really that much of an upgrade? I'm aware that the 3.0 software (which is now available on ordinary 3G phones anyway) allows you to have MMS, tethering, voice notes and a whole bunch of other 'new' capabilities however I haven't noticed a single new thing to the iPhone? I have had MMS capabilities on my iPhone for over 6 months now, it just wasn't an Apple endorsed product. The iPhone 'hackers' have created all of the 'new' programs which Apple is now releasing months prior. I realise the hardware upgrade in the iPhone 3G S however is it really that much of a difference? No matter what happens its still a phone not a super computer... If it was a worthwhile gain I'd be interested however I'm just not that sure that the 3G S is offering anything new?

thats all the 3g s pretty much is.... hardware upgrade and a little better reception, the rest of the stuff that comes with it came with the 3.0 software anyway, so im not stressing about getting one now

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
3GS Has compass and video camera doesn't it?

I haven't seen that with the firmware. The 3G is fast enough for me since this new firmware came in anyway, fixed most of the slow problems I was having.

Cut and Paste gets used the most now.

And Tethering is no good if you're on Optus as they want to charge you additional data costs for it.

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
Working all this week so I got them to send it to work for me.

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Bax:

I've had a video recorder on my iPhone for over 6 months (Infact I have 2-3 programs which do it, and encode different ways). So a video recorder is nothing new to the iPhone, as I said, the 'hackers' have done it months ago although I must give credit to the iPhone 3G S, it does have a better camera/video camera (basic hardware upgrade, nothing too special).
As for cut and paste, 'hackers' have had it done for a long time now... Another big surprize!
Tethering... and Optus... I did notice that they want to charge users $9.95 per month or something for just the capability to tether (data usage extra) which is quite a rip off, I wouldn't be surprized if you saw a tethering program or crack come out from the 'hackers' within a month or so which will be free to use (data useage extra- of course).

Also, instead of using the basic Google maps for directions I have a full GPS application (5 or 6 are available) once again, from the 'hackers' which enables voice directions, etc, etc.

And on the note of lining up at 7am for one... Optus opened some of their shops (1 per major city) at 12:01am so that over enthusiastic boneheads with money could get one as soon as they were released...

On another note (sorry for it to go a little off topic) I'm very interested into what the next iPhone will bring. I know people will be saying that they don't have very much further to go, or can't add much more but I think the release of the iPhone 3G S is only to catch up to competition and not become outdated, not a full blown upgrade. There have been talks about getting Flash to work on mobile phones using different OS's (eg: Google Andriod, Microsoft OS, etc) and they have been very sucessful in priliminary testing/development however one company that has failed to progress like the others have been (dun dun dunnnnn) Apple! This means the iPhone may be delayed or not at all develop Flash capabilities when the rest of the competition has it. If Apple can't keep up with the competition in the Flash department, then how is it going to keep its cornerstone in the market? They can live off their reputation, but it can only last so long... I don't think Apple want to go down without a fight.