Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices... How much you earning a week?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
LOL everyone says that! Man, if i was earning as much as what people think I earn I wouldn't be driving a VS wagon to work, I'd have a Maloo or a top of the line Ranger and the missus would be driving a Grange instead of a Statesman ;)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ultimately you're an apprentice because you're still learning. At least you're getting money while you're still learning. That is all.

Tes but as an apprentice your also working whilst learning so you get paid as a uni student (unless you look at some scenario's shounak proposed) your arent actually working so you dont get paid.
But isnt there centerlink for full time students? surely that is a form of paying for just studying it might not be much but its better than nothing.

One thing that gripes me about apprenticeships is that i could a heap of babies and receive more for just having kids and doing nothing than what i get working full time trying to improve my future. It's no wonder why there are soo many people taking that route

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
2nd yr carpentry apprentice: standard 40 hour week clearing $600 after tax

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
If only you could do part time apprenticeships.

We had plenty of part time students who worked their full time jobs and studied. A lot of people can't afford to drop a full time job when there's rent, food, kids etc.

That way you graduate in twice the time (sometimes less) and finish up with the same quals, all while working a full time job. Awesome.

you can do part time apprenticeships...

one of the guys at tafe only does 3 days a week.
also our company has an AFL player doing a part time apprenticeship with us, 1 day a week

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
LOL everyone says that! Man, if i was earning as much as what people think I earn I wouldn't be driving a VS wagon to work, I'd have a Maloo or a top of the line Ranger and the missus would be driving a Grange instead of a Statesman ;)

haha too true, i can say, if i didnt work 60hours a week in my first year and didnt go out or spend money, i wouldnt have my wagon haha, still have my vs, which i hate lol

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Tes but as an apprentice your also working whilst learning so you get paid as a uni student (unless you look at some scenario's shounak proposed) your arent actually working so you dont get paid.
But isnt there centerlink for full time students? surely that is a form of paying for just studying it might not be much but its better than nothing.

Some students, especially postgraduates do useful work (as in it has real-world value, it's not just textbook work), but I take your point and agree with it. Like I said, I'm not suggesting students should be getting paid to study (beyond the support already available), I'm just pointing out that at least apprentices are getting something. Think of it as "the glass is half full" rather than half empty.

There is Austudy, Abostudy, and other support available to students. It's means tested, or only available to particular demographics, so your milage may vary.

One thing that gripes me about apprenticeships is that i could a heap of babies and receive more for just having kids and doing nothing than what i get working full time trying to improve my future. It's no wonder why there are soo many people taking that route

Without getting too sidetracked, I agree with you that there are too many incentives to get knocked up and sit on your arse. Of course there are good reasons to encourage a high birth rate, but personally I think we've gone too far and there are far to many kids around as it is. "One for Mum, one for Dad, and the country is doing alright thanks so leave it at two" :)

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
I know two guys who were turning over between 7K to 10K a week every week. It kinda helps when you start at 5:30 and finish at 6pm 13 days out of 14 though lol.

EDIT: I should also add that figure is each, not between them.

lol contract ftw. Im just working hourly for the moment (read im to lazy right now ha ha) and bringing home about 1500 after tax on 40 hrs with the 3rd and 4th yrs doing most of the work :D

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Yeah lol, I was looking at troys avatar as well and thinking "there must be good money in fibrous too!!!" lol.

But yeh, thats some big bucks. If you work real hard, you can do very well for yourself.

F1tzy - lol, 15 hundred is pretty good, but if you work hard enough, you could make that in 2 days probably. ;)

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
yea exactly. im just taking it very easy at the moment and buying everything i need to go contract then ill earn some big money. until then im happy just cruising along lol