Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices/Traineeships...

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Gday

I'm 18 and want to get into the Automotive industry, probably a mechanic, not interested in panel/body work. I want to get my qualifications, but I don't want to go to TAFE (bad school years makes me hate any form of classroom :bang: ). Is there any way I can get qualified in the way of a traineeship where I don't have to go to school... :thumbsup:

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Most if not ALL trainee/apprenticeships require you to complete some TAFE if not UNI. Its not that hard remember, your learning about something u like and u don't have like 6 subjects to do like school days, don't be afraid, just do it and be done with it.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
it differant if you acctualy like the topic your studying..........and your getting paid to be there

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Yeah I know that, but due to bad bullying at high school I don't like the idea of that...

WhiteLightning

JCCCQ Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S, 3.0iTD Rodeo
there is no bullying at tafe because it is a more grown up environment...u will find it is older guys as well as guys your age attending...and u are doing something to better yurself in ur trade. as opposed to doing art and italian at high school

Vk-5ltr Berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina 308
does anyone know what refrigeration is like to do as a trade?

WhiteLightning

JCCCQ Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S, 3.0iTD Rodeo
does anyone know what refrigeration is like to do as a trade?

How many split systems will yu need to install a week before it gets repetitive?...but otherwise yeah not bad...not much to it really...more common knowledge than figures and procedures...although some things are pretty stringent, like gas discharge into the atmosphere and stuff...but yeah

Pursue it...see how u go

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can become a qualified mechanic without doing an apprenticeship but it takes about 10 years longer. You need to gain practical experience, have enough realtime workshop experience and be able to pass the necessary exams to gain your ticket. Remember Tafe isn't full time, it's only one day a week.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Matty there isnt a whole lot of trade school in the 4 years. I've done about 4 months and have about 2 or 3 to go. And it flies. And there are some d**kheads who pull tricks and s**t at TAFE cos there are alot of immature wanker apprentices around. Theres no bullying as such, but some people do play tricks. I have been on the recieving end of some and therefore have given some back. But this even happens in the workplace. You just gotta learn to laugh about it and then learn the art of revenge.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
if u get a traineeship through bob jane u dont go to tafe, they do it in-house and bob jane have a training manager Paul Kennent who does all the training for Australia, you meet up once a month with other trainees and you do some bookwork with him and you do the rest at your store.

ive done it and its a pretty good system and its fully reconised by tafe