Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprenticeship wages??

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
hey mate yeah.. sound about right im an apprentice printer. first year i think i was on 6.70 or around about pulling home 245 a week.. it sounds like **** while you do it mate but it works out in the end trust me.. i'd take the job but make sure they start the apprenticeship Straight away as alot of bosses will **** around for the first 6 months with you on the low wages.. just watch em.. good luck mate

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
i'd take the job but make sure they start the apprenticeship Straight away as alot of bosses will **** around for the first 6 months with you on the low wages.. just watch em.. good luck mate

With the job market the way it is, a youth is hardly in a position to starting demanding employment conditions. If an employer offers a probation period to test the waters on both sides I would take it. He starts to lay down the law he could well be passed over for the next eager lad who is happy to undertake a trial period.

DRKWGN

I Dig Hole's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS Wagon
im happy im not an apprentice, although i am a contractor witch has its advantages and it has its disadvantage's. i can charge what i want but i dont get paid if i have a sickie, i dont get holiday pay or any of those benifits

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
apprenticeships aren't that bad - you don't really do much because 80% of the first two years you're just standing around watching and learning, or you're at tafe (whilst being paid).
Taking this into consideration it's no wonder that apprentices get paid next to nothing for the first two years....

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
VL_5SPEED, that could be what you're paid, but base rate is about 220 p/w for most trades. i started off on $6.30 p/h, then it went up to $8.50 p/h after a few months. apprentice wages suck, but you have to start somewhere, and people arent going to be willing to pay big money for inexperienced workers.

to the OP, if you have an interest in doing that kind of work, then i'd say do it. but if you're just doing it cos you have been offered the job and want to start earning some money, and dont have much of an interest in the job, then stay in school and wait for the right thing to come up.

we have too many wankers come through our work who are deadbeats and just wanted an apprenticeship for the money (regardless of the shitful wages)

Pretty much summed it up mate, if you want like that job take it, it will be better to be on a good job with **** job with crappy pay for a while then have a job you hate and get paid heaps, you will regret it

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Painting is a good trade, I was a house painter for 3 years before I left that to manufacture paint.

Anywho, apprenticeship wages include an RDO usually, plus schooling and the prospect of a future in which you can call the shots.

Anyone can a learn a trade, but not everyone can handle an apprenticeship.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
apprenticeships aren't that bad - you don't really do much because 80% of the first two years you're just standing around watching and learning, or you're at tafe (whilst being paid).
Taking this into consideration it's no wonder that apprentices get paid next to nothing for the first two years....

i wouldn't say you do nothing but standing around watching for the first 2 years, otherwise you would be learning nothing as you don't learn by watching you learn by doing. ive been an auto elec apprentice for just over a year now and i do plenty of jobs working by myself and i don't mean sweeping the floors. I guess it just really depends on your employer and how quick you pick things up.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
hey

i have been offered an apprenticeship as a painter and decorator. i asked the boss what are the wages like and he thinks for a first year apprentice it would be around $200 a week for 40 hours... does this sound right?

is there anywhere i can look to see how much I am meant to be earning? or is anyone a painter themselves?

cheers :beer chug:

he "thinks" around $200?

ok- for starters read here about lots of useful info:
Australian Apprenticeships Homepage

then here for Award details (pay, conditions etc):
apprenticeships and traineeships

some employers dont get paperwork and pay right, not because they are dodgy- but because they dont know where/how to find the info. so make sure you know all the points, inside and out. print out the publications and forms for your employer if you have to... but get it done right before your first day (you dont want to miss out on being credited for all your hard work for crap pay for nothing).