Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are all calipers on VB-C-H up to VP the same? of cause excluding VL turbos and later V8's

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hi guys, I've just replaced the rotors and bearings and pads on the front of my VH wagon, while i did that i notice that the driver front caliper piston was getting stuck, slide pins are cleaned and regreased and sliding freely, anyways i thought I've freed it up with a G clap, but after I put it all back together and took it around the block to bed the rotors - pads in, the next day I couldn't hardly move that wheel again (meaning its stuck again)
i can not afford forking out the amount that recon calipers are going for at the moment after spending the money on all the other parts and rego needs to be renewed within the next two weeks, being in NSW needs to past roadworthy.

my question is, are all early commodores calipers the same VB TO VP (I know the VL turbos and V8 from VL to VP are different) from my research and from what a few people told me they all the same, (just some cast molding difference and later are PBR, as i found a NOS VN caliper reasonably cheap, would that get me out of trouble especially when money is tight

thanks in advance

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The only difference between them all is the bracket...

So to answer your question, yes the VN caliper will fit

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
hi guys, I've just replaced the rotors and bearings and pads on the front of my VH wagon, while i did that i notice that the driver front caliper piston was getting stuck, slide pins are cleaned and regreased and sliding freely, anyways i thought I've freed it up with a G clap, but after I put it all back together and took it around the block to bed the rotors - pads in, the next day I couldn't hardly move that wheel again (meaning its stuck again)

thanks in advance
you did leave the rotor loose on its bearings? (after seating them properly?)

1st series wheel bearings have a particular tightening/loosening sequeance

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
you did leave the rotor loose on its bearings? (after seating them properly?)

1st series wheel bearings have a particular tightening/loosening sequeance
the rotor turns easily when I take the calliper off, I’ve tighten the bearing nut until it starts to get tight then quarter turn back, and the slides move freely previously stated, the piston was getting stuck before I change it all as well, this side was metal to metal on the pads but other side still had half meat left, I say the driver side been getting stuck for a while, I’ve change the pads 2 years ago, never had a car that had so many brake problems like this one, and that’s saying something ( over the years I’ve had over 40 cars that were pre 1980,

if you go through my previous posts you would see I had three different mechanics putting in brand new master cylinders 3 years in a row, had complete failure each time, the back is completely new right down to including drums, also installed a recon double diaphragm booster

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
also installed a recon double diaphragm booster
why would you do that with drum brakes? Am I reading that right it has drums on the rear?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you have diagnosed the piston getting stuck in the caliper than nothing you do other than getting a replacement caliper or putting a rebuild kit through your caliper will fix the problem.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
why would you do that with drum brakes? Am I reading that right it has drums on the rear?
Because each time that I had the standard aftermarket master cylinder (new) installed, it completely failed, not brake what so ever, flat to the floor, so I ended up getting a recon genuine police master cylinder and the recon booster at the same time, as I was sick n tired of having close calls from the failures, especially when I get it done professionally including complete fluid flush each time and fail just out of warranty period

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
does it have disks or drums on the back? So it has a 1 inch master cyclinder and double diaframe booster .

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
If you have diagnosed the piston getting stuck in the caliper than nothing you do other than getting a replacement caliper or putting a rebuild kit through your caliper will fix the problem.
Yes, thanks for the reply this is why I asked if a VN calliper would fit, as Ive found a NOS one, I’m in the middle of no where so I need things posted ( small town with only 2000 people) I can get a kit for one side for $90 posted plus would need brake cleaner to clean it up and brake fluid which probably end up being around the $130 mark and that means the bore not even honed out, or get the NOS calliper for a little bit more, and that would give me peace of mind that it’s all new, but need to know it will fit first

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As far as I know they will fit as long as it's the V6 calipers and not the slightly larger V8 ones but those look different as they have the finned bodies .