Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are extractors worth it?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe a little bit more performance at higher revs,but I found there was no difference in performance down low really...I didnt fit mine for any performance or economy gains in particular,I fitted mine because my passenger side standard manifold kept splitting and leaking.I went through about 4 of them before getting the extractors...The above results are what I ended up finding with them..I paid around $700 for my pacemakers,thats up here in the bush through a local exhaust shop....online would be the best bet for the best prices.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I understand the whole concept of VE but i think the gains in terms of economy are minimal on a stock engine. With a better complete exhaust system some improvements to intake systems and a tune to harness potential of both i can say the benefit to both ecomony and power would yeild better results.

Possibly the best arguement made here for getting extractors is the exhaust manifold cracking issue those cast ones are very prone to it.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Agree with pub, not worth it at 600, but if you got them cheap like me (150) then they are worth every cent... Especially since my passenger side manifold was cracked... If your one is cracked then just get extractors :)

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Agree with pub, not worth it at 600, but if you got them cheap like me (150) then they are worth every cent... Especially since my passenger side manifold was cracked... If your one is cracked then just get extractors :)

got mine for 150 too, woooohooo lol :surprise:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Get a K&N Panel Filter with a 2.5" exhaust and you will see better fuel economy and slightly better performance :) That's with the extractors :)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Scour ebay for a nice 2nd hand set (make sure they are the right ones though), they can make your throttle more responsive and with a sports exhaust and extractors and cold air intake you may notice a slight power increase even on a stock engine.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Got 2 sets of genies from u pull it for $40 ea..welded up me own Y pipes from the stock Y pipe for both my kids VN's...they like them...

tabae44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer
thanks everyone. I'll take that all on board, really appreciate all of your thoughts :)

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
not sure on your car, but I noticed better fuel eco on my car. I paid $400. Plus anything that keeps under bonnet temps smaller is a bonus.