Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are P platers as bad as they say we are?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
yeh thats true kev... but also i believe that the media make things sound worse than they are like the "hoon" article on aca and tt! they are full of **** people who want high ratings

KB3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon Dual Fuel HBD
oh yes indeed, as they always say, never let the facts get in the way of a good rating story. unfortunately todays prang down in the 'gong will only add fuel to the fire. i can see the headlines now, 'P plater injures 13!' and a truck driver on P's at that!! But it could happen anytime anywhere to anyone.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
well in the paper today it said that 'p' plate accidents are now double what they were last year. i don't think there is twice as many drivers. i know there are good and bad drivers of every description but the worst drivers out my way are definately 'p' platers.

you first mistake was believing something from the media. You people do know they only cover story's such as P platers etc to get rating, in turn to make money, which it obviously works, as the majority of their target audience are 'older' people who get the paper and think to themselves 'oh its in the paper, so it must be true', hence why no-one likes P platers.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
The media is bullshit. It is over rated, exaggerated and far from the truth in many cases. But unfortuantely it's a very powerful source of information, that many people believe word for word. If you do take account of every little detail they publish, then you are a fool.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
my view on P Platers is that you don't need years of experience to be a decent driver and stay out of trouble.

the problem with P Platers is, and i know it was true for me, they take more risks than they should and drive beyond what their skills really merit.

i'm not a great driver or anything but over the years i've developed skills to be relatively more confident if i want to push it a bit. i've bent some metal along the way too and learnt from it.

no matter what anyone says, it takes time to develop those skills. you also only realise that afterwards - in my view that's the crucial bit. P platers don't realise they aren't that good at driving yet. i know i didn't.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i suspect a lot of the problems facing p platers (the occaisional bad/hoonish driver aside) is that for the most part, they're bound to be the worst/most inexperienced drivers on the road, yet the cars they generally find themselves in are the clapped out bombs that wouldn't be safe with an experienced driver behind the wheel.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
lets make it simple
media + p = fantastic story lets make it bigger then it is
and as for ALOT of my mates they are good driver, BUT there is the driver your holding onto your door handle hoping you get there in the next 2 minutes before you jump out... hahaha
im not goin to say im a perfect driver because im not, but i personally think im pretty average/avove average driver....
i used to drive on the holidays when we went away camping since i was 12.... drove once or twice a year, then as soon as i got my p'z drove 30 minutes mon-fri and an hr usually on sat-sun (some weeks i drove more, some i drove less).... had my l's for 2 years....
soooo i drove around 460 hrs in 2 years, not bad :D..... considering i needed 120?
and my dad showed me some basics on how to control a car when it gets out of control, and i taught myself a little to, and even though i know a little(im not saying im a pro) i feel safer when im on the road and im hoping they do bring a driving course out and make people on p's do it:D how fun would that be?:D:D:D:D:D id be there the 1st week.... anyway so thats why i believe im a fairly good driver but i have to admit i know alot of d*ckheads and i dont bother getting in the car with them:D:D:D

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
lets face it, the media needs something to fill their air time and newspapers with, why not pick on the youth!

as a p plater you usually cant afford the normal stuff to keep your car good, like tyres..and suspension, ive stacked a few times, once had nothing to do with the car (backed into a parked car)

been stacked into once before, wrote the calais off till the insurance company reconsidered.. full licenced driver hooned thru a roundabout collecting me side on without giving way

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
been stacked into once before, wrote the calais off till the insurance company reconsidered.. full licenced driver hooned thru a roundabout collecting me side on without giving way

that's funny, i don't remember seeing that one on the front page of the paper...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Being new on the roads..of course eyes are on you...no different to being a new player for the australian cricket side, no different to starting a new job. Its part of life, deal with it.