Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are RollCages Legal?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Anybody know the procedure to change your registration classification from max 5 passengers down to 2 in Vic (as described in the pdf posted by luke)?

Reaper

Same as changing colour Reaper, just go in and say it's a 2 seater now please

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Same as changing colour Reaper, just go in and say it's a 2 seater now please

Hmmm....... Maybe the back seats should stay out then........ :driving:

Reaper

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I think its funny that something that is an obvious saftey mod can make a car unroadworthy. My uncle had a similar problem when he was putting VT disc brakes in his LJ Torana.

I can see your point - but the thing is that there's lots more to consider other than just 'it's got a cage/bigger brakes so it's safer' :p

I think the biggest cause of injury in a car accident is caused by contact of the occupant(s) with bits of the interior. - with things like a rollcage in a street car - you have seatbelts which still let you flop around like a dummy when you crash, and the car is designed with that in mind. - There will be clearances, padding, extra chassis/cabin rigidity in places... and all that kinda stuff that they discover is needed after they do a whole bunch of crash tests with multi million dollar measuring equipment etc.

Now the problem is - if joe blow backyard rollcage welder knocks up a $200 cage and just bolts/welds it into that car - it can very easily make the car a lot more dangerous to the occupants than if it had no cage in the first place.

This is why proper cages cost into the thousands, and require a andra/cams engineer inspection and approval to be used on the race track.

I can see their point with brakes and stuff as well - the torana would have brakes and bracketry made to suit it's weight and all the loads that the guys at the design shop would have worked out that it will be exerting on these components. They also have to put up with a whole bunch of heat and make sure they clear all the other suspension components properly etc etc.

Unfortunately the roads authorities don't trust all of us to do the job properly - so they require an engineers certificate to prove that it's not more of a safety risk than an upgrade...... and I completely understand that having seen some pretty dodgy 'safety mods' :p

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Sure, there might be dozens of cars driving around with "cages" in them...the police might even turn a blind eye...but have even a minor shunt, and your insurance company will ignore any claims, as well as if anyone inside is hurt by it, your arse is grass and the lawyers will be the lawnmowers...
Idiots making them out of exhaust pipe to impress thier mates have ruined it for a lot of people...

If there is a legal way to do it, I'd advise doing it to the letter of the law...and then carry a copy of the appropriate legislation around with you in case you get pulled by an overly zealous copper who's just itching for a reason to put your car off the road......

RibSmasherAu

RibSmasher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh V8 Project And Vn Family
Totaly agree wombat i will just leave the cage out for now and when i have all the mods i want i will take it off the road do the mods then get it engineered to make sure it's safe and legal save getting crap from the cops which are fairly heavy here in wollongong.

the collector

the collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
rodeo dual cab
cage

why dont you just call your local transport authority and ask them?
tell them you wish to purchace a vehicle just like yours and are concearned about the legality of the cage in your state?
rollcage = tough
good luck
cheers

ROLNBG

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 M6
my brother has a race mini with bucket seats, 5 point harness alluminium dash and fire wall,there is a cut out in the fire wall 4 the webber to stick throught, and i made a 6 point roll cage for him as im a 3rd year apprentice boilermaker/welder. took it to the engineered and it past for street use just had to put pading on the pipes. dont know how i went crazy with pipe work. the engineer said it was over engineered. we go drives in it every weekend and had no problems.