Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are these Headers ok for my VF SSV?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I emailed Magnaflow a few weeks ago looking for their recommendation for universal cats, to suit my requirements (size/hp/cells etc) They're useless! After a couple of emails back and forth, I got no info out of them because my vin is not applicable??? I reiterated that I want universal. They told me to ring a local seller in Australia for info, to which I responded "if you can't tell me, how are they going to know?". Amongst other things, I told Magnaflow I can easily go Kooks Green or HJS without any info or emails required, but would give them a chance to repond. They never did. HJS only start at 121mm diameter for a 6l capable cat, so imo, getting too big for under the car, Kooks Geen are 100mm. Starting around 1k each, the saving/procrastination has begun. The Magnaows I thought I wanted were going to be about $700 each.

Last edited:

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
There doesn't seem to be an easy answer other than to leave the stock cats alone and be happy with the power after a tune. What do people with forced induction or Cams do as far as cats go?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
There doesn't seem to be an easy answer other than to leave the stock cats alone and be happy with the power after a tune. What do people with forced induction or Cams do as far as cats go?
Usually 100 or zero cell (piped) cats. Getting busted for emission tampering with exhausts in SA is extremely rare if not perhaps non-existent. Worst case scenario providing a car has something resembling a cat in the exhaust system, is either a work order to replace the cats or remove the headers/aftermarket cats and refit the stock one's.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Usually 100 or zero cell (piped) cats. Getting busted for emission tampering with exhausts in SA is extremely rare if not perhaps non-existent. Worst case scenario providing a car has something resembling a cat in the exhaust system, is either a work order to replace the cats or remove the headers/aftermarket cats and refit the stock one's.
I guess 200 cell wouldn't be much better

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I guess 200 cell wouldn't be much better
No, 200 cell cats won't pass emission testing either. I think many believe that a "half legal" exhaust is acceptable but in terms of emission compliance, the car either complies or it doesn't regardless of the cats fitted and may as well be catless.. The idea of piping cats is retaining something that appears to be a cat and may comply where removing them altogether is blatantly obvious non compliant emission tampering.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I grabbed some 4" 400 cell cats and chop fitted the cone to accept 3" at the header end and 2.5" after the cat

I'm actually looking for another set of HSV cats (I gave my last set away to a mate to pass emissions test after LS swap) as I want to go to the larger 5" body cat and then twin 3" Y pipe to 4" single

Pic of chop fit >
20220616_175655_resized.jpg

Cats aren't as bad IRT power loss as some people say, picking the largest body that fits also helps, and I'd gladly give up a few hsprs for compliance because in the end it's a street car not a race car

Plus I don't want Captain Planet kicking me in the balls

In other news, sell me some VF HSV cats

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I grabbed some 4" 400 cell cats and chop fitted the cone to accept 3" at the header end and 2.5" after the cat
That'll fail a licencing inspection in SA without an emission compliance certificate.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am tempted to retain the stock cats and just get shorty headers that will bolt up to them. That way I have better flow from engine with headers and less restriction at the rear with Zetti high flow sports mufflers. Then get a tune (the VCM otr is already fitted) and see how I go.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Lucky I'm in NSW
Here's the SA rules, do the have different rules in NSW?

An exhaust system may be altered or modified without an application for modification, provided that:
 Original emissions control devices (e.g. catalytic converters) are reconnected and operational;
 Catalytic converters and exhaust sensors are in the same exhaust flow locations as the original system;