Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are these LCA bushings worn and need replacing?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon

May be hard to see as videos flipped to the side (easier in full screen). Do they need replacing or a tightening? Cheers

ZXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
I would say replace but that looks pretty min movement. Car drive ok no wobbles ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You need to take the castor rod out and get some leverage (like a screw driver or something) through the eye of the bush, rocking the rod back and forth like that isn't going to tell you a lot. Either that or get a pry bar against the bushed end and see if there's a heap of play. Have also seen people mount Go-pros in that position while driving to check. As above, symptoms?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would also say replace them,
that little bit of movement just with your hands,
will be a much more with the weight of the Car on them, and tension of cornering.
If you can afford it,
Buy SuperPro Bushes for the Front Control Arms, and the Lower Control Arms,
[Or Buy the Complete Set of Arms, so you dont have to press the old Bushes out]
You will never look back.
Keeping in mind, if you do replace the Bushes/Arms, you will require a Wheel Aligment.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Are you troubleshooting allignment issues, noises?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
will be a much more with the weight of the Car on them, and tension of cornering.
If you can afford it,
Keeping in mind, if you do replace the Bushes/Arms, you will require a Wheel Aligment.

Totally agree, I can see it moving with just basic hand manipulation.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
I would say replace but that looks pretty min movement. Car drive ok no wobbles ?
You need to take the castor rod out and get some leverage (like a screw driver or something) through the eye of the bush, rocking the rod back and forth like that isn't going to tell you a lot. Either that or get a pry bar against the bushed end and see if there's a heap of play. Have also seen people mount Go-pros in that position while driving to check. As above, symptoms?
Are you troubleshooting allignment issues, noises?

Had a clunk coming from the front end for over a year now, at first it was hard to replicate and thought it was the brakes as I could feel the clunk when my foot was on the brake pedal but now it happens rather often going over uneven road or speedbumps and also when going from forward to reverse, there is also way more movement in the bushings compared to last year where there was no movement at all and now steering wheel shakes when on freeway at 100km/h (alignment was also recently done)

If you can afford it,

Ended up getting a new set for both sides on ebay as I couldn't find a full superpro set on there, the brand is machter and the biggest selling point is 5 year warranty so worst case I was going to just buy the bushings later and press them in place of the current ones.. will see how it feels first.

Also, it may be a stupid question but how neccesary is it to get an alignment straight away?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
It shits me no end when an alignment shop does an alignment when there is something wrong which a basic check beforehand should have found. The shop should then have called the customer and informed them off the issue and recommended a repair before the alignment was completed.

If the suspension geometry has changed with the replacement of the parts than you may get accelerated tyre wear and/or handling issues. Take if for a drive and see how it feels. If you trust your eye have a good look at where all 4 wheels are pointing when the car is on level ground and the front wheels straight ahead/steering wheel centered.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It shits me no end when an alignment shop does an alignment when there is something wrong which a basic check beforehand should have found. The shop should then have called the customer and informed them off the issue and recommended a repair before the alignment was completed.

If the suspension geometry has changed with the replacement of the parts than you may get accelerated tyre wear and/or handling issues. Take if for a drive and see how it feels. If you trust your eye have a good look at where all 4 wheels are pointing when the car is on level ground and the front wheels straight ahead/steering wheel centered.

Half the problem is, they have no idea what to look for...Just throw it on the alignment machine, turn the rack ends until it reaches green and kick it off.....Or when you try and teach the little twirps, they don't want to listen....I'm sure it all interrupts their facebook time

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Half the problem is, they have no idea what to look for...Just throw it on the alignment machine, turn the rack ends until it reaches green and kick it off.....Or when you try and teach the little twirps, they don't want to listen....I'm sure it all interrupts their facebook time

I will 2nd that !

The Wheel Aligment guy at Bridgestone Cheltenham, just doesnt listen, and thinks you are an idiot !,
Especially when you have just paid for 4 New Tyres,
and you get a wheel aligment [as recomended by them]
You collect the car and the Fourking Steering Wheel is not straight !!!
But it was when it went in for the 4 new tyres ! [as it tracked straight previously]
[This was also after I replaced the Front and Lower Arms with SuperPro Arms
Then he tells me "its the camber of the road" !
Ye Right,
He has to stop smoking the **** !
because he cant see straight to get a Steering Wheel Straight !

Last edited: