Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are these LCA bushings worn and need replacing?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I will 2nd that !

The Wheel Aligment guy at Bridgestone Cheltenham, just doesnt listen, and thinks you are an idiot !,
Especially when you have just paid for 4 New Tyres,
and you get a wheel aligment [as recomended by them]
You collect the car and the Fourking Steering Wheel is not straight !!!
But it was when it went in for the 4 new tyres ! [as it tracked straight previously]
[This was also after I replaced the Front and Lower Arms with SuperPro Arms
Then he tells me "its the camber of the road" !
Ye Right,
He has to stop smoking the **** !
because he cant see straight to get a Steering Wheel Straight !

He probably thinks you're an idiot, because you're not smoking any crap and you're not interested in getting to the nearest spot to to look at facebook :)

Seriously...Some of the aligners these days are a fooking joke....They don't have the faintest idea on how to read a tyre and adjust the suspension according to that wear.....They have no idea on how to check for worn components and the effects those components can have on tyre wear.

I have also struck owners that push the aligner to get as many alignments through in a day as possible....Those owners and I have butted heads to the point I have walked out the door....I also think it's a big joke charging extra to adjust camber or caster....It takes half an hour max to do an alignment, with all the appropriate checks and if you can't adjust every part of the suspension within that time frame, you need to find another job...

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Ended up changing them this weekend and the bushings were dry and starting to crack and the balls joins were very easy to move around, seemed as the only thing holding them in place was the boot. Steering feels much tighter and wheel isn't vibrating at 100km/h anymore which is a plus.. but still got that beautiful sounding clunk :rolleyes:

I got torque specs online elsewhere and this dude worked out the actual torque numbers instead of the seemingly unnecessary 60/120 degrees, would there be any immediate signs of over-torquing?

Ball joints - 115 nm
Subframe - 165 nm

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sway bar D bushes are a well known rattle maker when they become even slightly worn and loose

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
First thing I replaced probably over a year ago now, last thing left to change are rack ends and tie rods.. hoping for some success

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sway bar D bushes are a well known rattle maker when they become even slightly worn and loose
Yeah surprisingly slightly worn D bushes make a hell of a knock as I am experiencing right now. Plus they cause some front end shudder under brakes.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah surprisingly slightly worn D bushes make a hell of a knock as I am experiencing right now. Plus they cause some front end shudder under brakes.
Come to think of it, I need to replace mine for the second time since I've owned my car. Done 140k on the last set so can't really complain!
If you have a high km car say over 250,000 and want a nice quiet ride like new, best advice is to replace all the bushes, struts and ball joints in the whole front end. Do a few at a time. It's easier than stuffing around trying to guess exactly which ones are stuffed and which aren't.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has been mostly done over the last couple of years but the D bushes have a slight bit of movement. It aint much, but it's enough to be annoying, even if it's not dangerous.