Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are these tail lights legal?

Letswagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sportswagon
there was a guy on the ford forums
rear ended a car that brakelights did not work
produced his dash cam footage and other driver had to pay to fix his car as they were deemed to be driving an unroadworthy vehicle

Yeah hadnt thought about that aspect of it, that along with the insurance side of things and making sure they comply savea trouble down the road

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Contact the manufacturer for a definitive answer.

it does beg the question though , why would a manufacturer make a product that was illegal , do laws in Australia differ from state to state ?:confused:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
it does beg the question though , why would a manufacturer make a product that was illegal , do laws in Australia differ from state to state ?:confused:
same as you can buy electrical from bunnings
most people are not too bright and will buy anything

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Because their target market doesn't really care for the law or insurance implications lol

Same as LED or HID kits. They're not safe or legal but plenty of clowns don't care and go ahead with it despite the risks and potential outcomes.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd be more worried about how ugly they look than anything, that would be enough to deter me.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
They may not vary because ADR's are a national standard. What might vary from state to state is their interpretation and enforcement. Some states are very hard on mods.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
They may not vary because ADR's are a national standard. What might vary from state to state is their interpretation and enforcement. Some states are very hard on mods.

over here , having darkly tinted tail lights is worthy of a pink sticker , I can't quite remember the % that it is , same deal with head lights , this still does not stop people from doing it though , I can recall one enterprising young lady who used pantyhose on her tail lights , you only noticed when you got close up to them .

Letswagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sportswagon
over here , having darkly tinted tail lights is worthy of a pink sticker , I can't quite remember the % that it is , same deal with head lights , this still does not stop people from doing it though , I can recall one enterprising young lady who used pantyhose on her tail lights , you only noticed when you got close up to them .

”but officer, its not tint its pantyhose”
LOL

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
HSV had enough problems with LED taillights through the E series, lots of warranty replacements.
Wouldn't even consider cheapies from eBay...