Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The whole idea of fines based on income is that a $400? speeding fine when one is on $1300/f job seekers really hurts them disproportionately as compared to the average employee.... A $400? speeding fine for someone earning $200k isnt even a blip on their radar...

I’ve always felt that if someone behaves in a dangerous manner on our shared roads, their license should be cancelled since they are behaving dangerously.... No fines, just a loss of their time to resit the test and if they pass they’re back to P’s... Loose their licence again in 12 month period and they again loose their license but now have to wait a bit before you can sit your test... the “bit“ they have to wait gets longer each time they behave dangerously and only resets after a 24 month clean driving period. It’s probation in the true sense.

Whether the wealthy are living of trusts, etc, won’t matter so much... though I guess they can afford to be driven everywhere so they don’t really need a licence :p

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
How long ago?
I cant count. I make it 31 years. :)
You are right it was 31 years ago.....I had my sun glasses on....they tend to block 31 and substitute 19.

This HZ GTS Monaro 1978 model 5 litre V8 owned by me in 1989....paid $10500 with A/C cash...still in show room condition with 60000Kms.....remember when pin striping was painted on.....what would it be worth today?......I kept the number plates.....how sad!

Attachments

• holden01 (2).jpg
    holden01 (2).jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yep, I had a 1972 LJ GTR. I sold it in the early 80s because I got a company car.

$2400! ! !
Heck, how many Torana GTRs lost value to the point their owners sold them for next to nothing or even gave then away to free up space? What % actually survived (of even the mid 70’s base model Toranas)?

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
VFs are already well up in value in the used car sales yards. I spoke to a mate in the auction business and he told me that if I could afford to put my VF up on blocks, disconnect the battery, flood the crankcase with oil and cover it with a heavy tarp it would be worth four times its current value within ten years as long as the mileage was below 60,000k. Pity I don't have the room or money to do so! :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
VFs are already well up in value in the used car sales yards. I spoke to a mate in the auction business and he told me that if I could afford to put my VF up on blocks, disconnect the battery, flood the crankcase with oil and cover it with a heavy tarp it would be worth four times its current value within ten years as long as the mileage was below 60,000k. Pity I don't have the room or money to do so! :)
Don't feel bad, the guy's wrong. The current blip is COVID-related, once the 10% of the population that heads to Bali to get neck-tattoos can go back there next year & get a really big tattoo of the SARS-CoV2 virus, they'll forget about spending money on cars & VF's will drop again along with everything else.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
V8's will be but be prepared for a long wait. If you have a Motorsport or Director it'll always be worth more.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
V8's will be but be prepared for a long wait. If you have a Motorsport or Director it'll always be worth more.
True but the $100k question is how much more...

A $45k SS @ 10yo may sell for $10k while a $70k Motorsport may sell for $18k at the same age. Both are similar seeing rates of depreciation but the $$ loss is $35k for the SS verses $52k for the Motorsport...

Then these cheap cars are bought by hoons, written off and what’s left becomes rarer. Then the prices start to increase... but not in line with sharmarket, won’t even keep up with inflation...

Cars are generally not an investment unless your talking of real limited runs of exotic and silly priced hardware :p

Last edited:

Rapom1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oct 2017 sv6 wagon white
Always need to think in inflation adjusted dollars. It may be the case that in 20 years a VF will be worth $1,000,000 and at the same time be basically worthless.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Making any real money out of cars is a very long term prospect and like winning the lottery, except for the well heeled it's a mug's game really.

Very few classic Aussie cars are worth much when you take into account inflation, maintenance, insurance and restoration costs.

Most 50 to 60 year old Aussie Classics can be had for under $50K.

Buy a VF and keep driving it until they take your licence away or you drop off the perch, why keep it hidden only to allow it to be passed on for someone else to enjoy.

The W427 is a good case in point.

My local dealer told me I was mad when I passed up the offer to buy one of the 137 made as it would prove to be an instant and long term gold mine.

At a $155,000 plus on-roads the car was just a driveline package with even for the day, a barebone cabin with hardly any passenger appointments.

Today if you search around you can grab one for under $90K.

It's a nice piece of history and a passable collector item but not a great investment for those that got in early.

Bide your time and try and judge when the prices are at rock bottom then jump onboard and let someone else take the huge hit, you still may not make much money when you on sell it but at lease you wouldn't have spent a motza getting to a point where it's worth much less then what you've invested.

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..