Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Performance isn't only straight line though; not being made of recycled limp noodle makes a difference to how a VF feels in a corner compared to a VS. :)

A VS wouldn't replace the VF, we do need a daily-driver and a VF is about 18 million times better as that.

I have sorta wondered whether the awful archaic plastic interior of the VS would turn me off, were I to get serious. All those mouldings of slightly different coloured plastic trying to tie the parts of the dash & door trim together but probably making them look more of a mish-mash as a result. And the rattles.
Why is archaic chintz & plastichrome & even cheaper plastic less of a turn-off in an HJ than a VS? I have no idea!

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Performance isn't only straight line though; not being made of recycled limp noodle makes a difference to how a VF feels in a corner compared to a VS. :)

A VS wouldn't replace the VF, we do need a daily-driver and a VF is about 18 million times better as that.

I have sorta wondered whether the awful archaic plastic interior of the VS would turn me off, were I to get serious. All those mouldings of slightly different coloured plastic trying to tie the parts of the dash & door trim together but probably making them look more of a mish-mash as a result. And the rattles.
Why is archaic chintz & plastichrome & even cheaper plastic less of a turn-off in an HJ than a VS? I have no idea!

I'm not to fussed on any Holden plastics really, they are all cheap, especially that black shiny piano stuff that shows every finger print and scratch

I cannot see any Holden interior plastics aging well, especially when dashes are getting pulled for maintenance or entertainment upgrades, hell that black shiny plastic scratches when you look at it

Plus what is it with all the black plactic, non body coloured plastic bits on newer cars, the big black plastic thing on the rear bumpers, and all the black (fake) vents and surounds, it looks like some 17 year old kid who designed the Honda Civic Type R had a go at working with the Holden design team

Meh, horses for courses, perhaps I'm "possibility" to over opinionated and judgemental, ....."possibly".....

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Meh, horses for courses, perhaps I'm "possibility" to over opinionated and judgemental, ....."possibly

Not at all, most commodore owners would agree with you….but…the fact remains that we were spoiled for many years with relatively cheap performance motoring at an ‘acceptable’ level of quality (in most cases).

There’s a trade-off involved with that however as you outlined above.

Want performance and exceptional quality? Go and pay double the money for a Euro. Even then, the reliability of those cars leaves a bit (lot) to be desired, not to mention running costs

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Thats true I paid $450 for a vt wagon, sure its only an exec but I am pretty happy with it for that price,

Reactions: Lex

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Had lots of fun working on It etc.

Reactions: Lex

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Want performance and exceptional quality? Go and pay double the money for a Euro. Even then, the reliability of those cars leaves a bit (lot) to be desired, not to mention running costs
It's a bit of a shame the Japanese didn't see the value in a V8, during that period from the early 80's to mid 90's where they were trying to compete with the Euros in terms of dynamics & totally smashing the Euros (and easily the Australians) in terms of reliability. They only did the V8 thing as part of their launch into the Euro price-point ... but a Cressida at Cressida pricing with one of those unburstable early Lexus V8 in it would've been awesomesauce!

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
It's a bit of a shame the Japanese didn't see the value in a V8, during that period from the early 80's to mid 90's where they were trying to compete with the Euros in terms of dynamics & totally smashing the Euros (and easily the Australians) in terms of reliability. They only did the V8 thing as part of their launch into the Euro price-point ... but a Cressida at Cressida pricing with one of those unburstable early Lexus V8 in it would've been awesomesauce!
Shows how unique the Aussie Commodores & Falcons were...Toyota obviously felt there wasn’t a market big enough for a car just as large at that price point. Their advertising for many a year tried to promote the Avalon & then Aurion as a serious full size family competitor to the Aussie makes but didn’t come close to winning Aussies over in this segment....despite them blitzing the other sedan segments as well as their reputation for reliability etc.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Shows how unique the Aussie Commodores & Falcons were...Toyota obviously felt there wasn’t a market big enough for a car just as large at that price point. Their advertising for many a year tried to promote the Avalon & then Aurion as a serious full size family competitor to the Aussie makes but didn’t come close to winning Aussies over in this segment....despite them blitzing the other sedan segments as well as their reputation for reliability etc.
Plenty of people who wouldn't have known FWD from RWD, from a single wheel in the middle of the car doing the driving, believed that they needed RWD to be driving a proper family car.
But then the SUV makers came along & convinced people that a lower-quality vehicle with old technology jacked up in the air for worse everything was the way to go, and that popped-off proper sedans & wagons. eg. Mazda's dumping the 6 in the US because the overpriced underperforming less-safe CX5 & CX9 are way more profitable.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Plenty of people who wouldn't have known FWD from RWD, from a single wheel in the middle of the car doing the driving, believed that they needed RWD to be driving a proper family car.
But then the SUV makers came along & convinced people that a lower-quality vehicle with old technology jacked up in the air for worse everything was the way to go, and that popped-off proper sedans & wagons. eg. Mazda's dumping the 6 in the US because the overpriced underperforming less-safe CX5 & CX9 are way more profitable.
Agree with the public perception of FWD/RWD but prior to SUVs I think it was more the size of the car. The original ‘baby capsules’ and child restraint seats (which only came in during the mid to late 80s) were always much wider than those on the market today. If you had a couple of kids in these as well as a third child in the rear seat or for that matter 3 lanky pre-teens or teenagers (with no digital devices to entertain them) then most went for the Aussie product to get the extra cms of width for a more family friendly trip.
Of course all that has changed now with narrow child seats and the SUV craze.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
Yes, buy your VS SS or HSV, if I owned a VE or VF SS now I would sell it during this period of overinflated prices to fund my preferred "cool ride"

Well guys I'll be bowing out from the VF forum as I sold my VF over the weekend. I've been reading though the last few pages before posting this, hence quoting Ginger Beer in relation to selling up now.

I decided to sell for various reasons, but a couple that I'll mention here were that I wanted to test the water during this over inflated period to see if it would sell (not the main reason). Given the amount of media attention second hand cars have had of late, and in particular seeing the "advertised price" of VF's, it seems if you put a fair price on a car it will sell, as did mine. I bought it 2nd hand 5 and a half years ago, looked after it, added a few things along the way, and sold it for substantially more than I paid for it, crazy when you think a car 6 years old should have sold for half of what I got.

Another being that at 90 000km, the repairs outside of normal servicing were rearing their ugly head. I absolutely loved the car, and loved driving it, but the repairs were starting to irritate me, and I knew with it being a Holden, there would be more pain to come. There were also the other factors involved (ask my accountant.... Grrrr) which I won't go into. Plus the fact that it was an SSV, not a Redline. I think the Redlines and the Motorsport versions will continue to fetch premium prices for a while, but SS or SSV............ maybe.

I think I read someone say that young guys are not interested in these cars, well that's exactly the type of guy who bought it. So there are still young guys out there who are into these "dinosaurs". He came with his dad and brother, knew a lot about the VF's, so I know it will be looked after and that it's going to a good home, which eases the pain of seeing it go somewhat. I've ordered a replacement for it already after lots of research (2021 Mazda 6 GT SP Turbo, not exactly neck snapping, but a nice car), but will be keeping my eye on the 2nd hand market to see if it falls over in the next 5 years, to look at buying something like a VS/VR/VY V8 if prices return to "normal". I agree with Ginger Beer and others here, a lot less tech in those to go wrong, and hey, nothing will drive as well as a VF, but one of those would still be fun to tinker with.

In addition to that, and I think someone mentioned it, I want to see what the Australian Government will be doing over the next 5 years to see if they start treating cars with the internal combustion engine any differently, and in particular V8's, with all the talk of EV's, countries banning new internal combustion engine cars etc, who knows what will happen here with taxing petrol fueled cars.

I wasn't a huge contributor here, but want to thank all of you who replied to my questions/posts and helped me out. It's a great community, and I'll probably still drop on by to see what's happening occasionally.

Adios,

Jono