Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VLs Real Commodores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
So, shouldn't the question be rephrased "What makes a commodore a commodore?"

If it's the fact that that the engine is made in Australia then there's a big gulf between the VK and the VZ because the Nissan 3L and Buick V6 rule out VL to VY. If its that the engine was designed in Australia, you can almost rule out the VZ (Global V6 was designed globally with input from Australia). For that matter rule out the EFI 202 in the VK because Bosch did the injection. So now you're back to the carby 202 in the VK. But even that has it's origin in old USA GM designs dating back from before the grey motor.

So, what about the V8? Same deal there, modified GM design for the 253 but given enough design room locally for stroking to the 308 then had another local iteration with fuel injection to the 304. Then the North American Gen III and Gen IV came along.

Is it the fact that the car is assembled in Australia? If the VZ was assembled in Brazil for the USA market it would still be a commodore.

From my viewpoint if the majority of the car is designed in Australia for Australian conditions and it's badged a commodore, then it's a commodore.

seabs

Reaction score
Website
seabrook.homemail.com.au
Members Ride
Gen F R8 SV
Demons1964 said:
So, shouldn't the question be rephrased "What makes a commodore a commodore?"

If it's the fact that that the engine is made in Australia then there's a big gulf between the VK and the VZ because the Nissan 3L and Buick V6 rule out VL to VY. If its that the engine was designed in Australia, you can almost rule out the VZ (Global V6 was designed globally with input from Australia). For that matter rule out the EFI 202 in the VK because Bosch did the injection. So now you're back to the carby 202 in the VK. But even that has it's origin in old USA GM designs dating back from before the grey motor.

So, what about the V8? Same deal there, modified GM design for the 253 but given enough design room locally for stroking to the 308 then had another local iteration with fuel injection to the 304. Then the North American Gen III and Gen IV came along.

Is it the fact that the car is assembled in Australia? If the VZ was assembled in Brazil for the USA market it would still be a commodore.

From my viewpoint if the majority of the car is designed in Australia for Australian conditions and it's badged a commodore, then it's a commodore.
true that! :thumbsup:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
But Holden played a massive part in designing the alloytech, even though it was overseas (Holden engineers can travel on planes y'know :p)

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
my cars aussie made and its not a ford but hey its not a commie :b: :b: but its .................wait for it.......................a lancer :w00t: :w00t: :coolpimp:

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Well given that the VE will be 50% overseas made, will it still be an Aussie?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
The VL commodore is unique in the fact that it was the only commodore to be fitted with a turbo as an option across the range, they also have the honour of being the fastest street registered commodores I believe the rajab calais runs low 9's and a high 8 is on the cards. just because its got a jap engine don't make it rice. the japs have got v8's as well ya know.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Bresciani actually own the fastest street vl turbo. Well, they don't own it, but built it. 8.96 @ 154mph. Fasssst Thats 247km/h

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
ucwepn said:
The VL commodore is unique in the fact that it was the only commodore to be fitted with a turbo as an option across the range, they also have the honour of being the fastest street registered commodores I believe the rajab calais runs low 9's and a high 8 is on the cards. just because its got a jap engine don't make it rice. the japs have got v8's as well ya know.
Yeah the lexus 4L v8 is awesome, there also an aussie company that sells modified mx5s, with the lexus v8 under the bonnet now thats madness

simmo 76

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VS ACCLAIM
ive got nothing against them. one big family with a half caste kid. we still love him though. :p < F.U.F

Also another thing to remember, alot of Asians help put these cars together here in Australia.

VLs are wicked, I had a Calias turbo, I still see it now and then around Wanneroo, it had Wagin plates on it, well it did when I had it!

Status
Not open for further replies.