Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are yellow led's ilegal for road use?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Yeah I think the older commies are clear. VT onward have the standard globes with an orange coating.

I want the led globes so I wont have to replace them...
Neally every standard globe on the car blew last winter

vr started with the orange globe im pretty sure.

the globes themselves is the problem, they need to pass adr's and such to be "legal", have enough light output, etc.

but if they light up enough during the day, you should be fine. ive got leds in every spot on my clear tail lights, and the brake specifically light up more red than the tinted globes. ive stayed with normal globes for the front indicators, as theyre too dull for my liking(this is similar globes to the ones youve shown, i use some bigger, better ones for the rear)

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
vr started with the orange globe im pretty sure.

the globes themselves is the problem, they need to pass adr's and such to be "legal", have enough light output, etc.

but if they light up enough during the day, you should be fine. ive got leds in every spot on my clear tail lights, and the brake specifically light up more red than the tinted globes. ive stayed with normal globes for the front indicators, as theyre too dull for my liking(this is similar globes to the ones youve shown, i use some bigger, better ones for the rear)

Thanks for that:)

Is it possible you could show me an a pic of the indicators youve got in the rear, and where I can get brighter ones?
Also how do you find the white reverse led's? They bright enough?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
hmm, i havent got a pic of them in the car, thought i did.

the led reverse lights arent bad, light up a fair bit at night. could be more white, but you get what you pay for with white leds.

these are what i got for reverse, in white

eBay Motors: 2 NEW! RED 18 LED BRAKE/TURN/TAIL LIGHT BULBS 1157 2057 (item 260296154024 end time Oct-12-08 00:14:38 PDT)

and a 20 led version for brake and indicators.

i "think" these pics were with the 20 led globes, but is also with my custom clear tail lights.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/443313-post146.html

Reaction score
was lookin at these for the clear side indicators...

wtf are these? amber or yellow:S

what are you on?

why would they be yellow? 5 times in the auction the word "amber" appears, the word "yellow" doesn't appear once!

btw, I've bought LEDs for my car off ebay before, and had 10 or so blow within 6 months!!!

I no longer have parker lights, and no longer have dash lights! :p haha!

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
The yellow ones are fine.. they actually flash amber!

I've got them in my car.