Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are you allowed to veer into the bike lane when a car is turning?

Nofan

red cars go faster.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S2
Okay guys, i know plenty of people do it, hell i do it, it seems safe and legal, but is it?

Lets use, a single dotted road for an example ( i hope that makes sense ), and theirs space on the side of the road, or a bike lane or empty car parks or something like that. I'm driving along, happy as ever listening to my brand new sound system in my commodore! Up ahead of me , i see a shiny prius indicating right. He has to wait for oncoming traffic. So I've got heaps of traffic behind me and the speed limits 60, so for safety i switch it down to second and veer into the bike lane then continue past him. ( There are no bikes in the lane).

But the questions is, are you allowed to break your lane? Now I've got a few friends who seem to think your not. Today were driving along, listening to pendulums new album and an Astra was turning right, I was like mate, go around, and hes like, no that's illegal and breaking lanes and I'm not losing demerit points for that ****! So we waited for the car to turn right, it did and we started on our way, so we came to a full stop and there was a 4wd doing a little over the speed limit and it just flew past us in the bike lane cutting us off expecting us to turn right. But we did nothing illegal, he was the one who went out of the lane. There was almost a collision if it wasn't for my friends alertness.

So yeah whats the deal? And please don't just say it's legal unless you have proof.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I don't believe you can break an unbroken line (which I'm assuming will be between you and the bike lane/car park/etc,) unless your turning off the road.

I believe in the event of an accident between your mates Astra and the 4WD, the 4WD would be blamed for not driving in a lane. Same deal with motorbikes and going between lanes of traffic at lights, thier at fault.

jay_wr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina wagon 5.7
My missus asked me this just the other day as she's on L's, I said i have no idea just go round em, so i'd like to know the answer to this to

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
I don't believe you can break an unbroken line (which I'm assuming will be between you and the bike lane/car park/etc,) unless your turning off the road.

that's the right answer. if it was a dotted line you can go across it if it's clear of traffic, but not a solid one.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
that's the right answer. if it was a dotted line you can go across it if it's clear of traffic, but not a solid one.

What if you don't have enough time to stop safely as there might be a car behind you that is traveling to close or whatever the circumstance might be, there must be a legitimate reason to overtake the vehicle in front.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i live on a street where on the way home from work my street at peek hour time because really busy and there is a bike lane and parking so when i goto turn right into my house if there isnt a car park on the opposite side to my house people will ALWAYS go around me and break the bicycle/carpark lane adn if there is a car parked then i better make sure that they see me indicating (had a few close calls from drivers paying no attention)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What if you don't have enough time to stop safely as there might be a car behind you that is traveling to close or whatever the circumstance might be, there must be a legitimate reason to overtake the vehicle in front.

I don't think there is. If there is a dangerous situation you have to follow the law. If they hit you from behind that is thier fault, but if you do something and cause an accident suddenly the blame can fall on you.

I understand what your saying, and I personally would just go around if its safe to do so, but legally you shouldn't.

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
I dont think there is either.. i see people doing it all the time near my house yet i've never seen or heard of people being pulled up.

Isnt the law just against traveling in the bike lane, not overtaking a turning car so that u dont impede the flow of traffic or something?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
You are ony allowed to enter a bike lane if you are turning.