Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are you sure I need ONLY H4's?

CJAff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
Pretty much everything I've read here, ppl have said you need only H4's for my headlights.

I bought a set of headlights off ebay the other week and they arrived today. There's connections on the back for both H4's and H1's (labeled), and when I look at the stock headlights on my Acclaim, there appears to be two globes.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
yes there is 2 globes, the h4 has 2 filaments so one is for your low beam and the other is for your high beam, there is also a h1 globe which is also high beam

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
technically yes, stand a the front of you car and get someone to flick between high and low and you will notice the low beam will go brighter and the second high beam globe will light up

CJAff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Acclaim
Yeah well that's what I always figured but everyone here I asked (bar one) said you only need h4's

kyevswagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon 5sp
pull the globes out n have a look whats in there problem solved

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
axemurderer101 has hit the nail on the head. If you wanted to replace both low and high beam, you would need a set of H4 dual filament globes and a pair of H1 globes. Do you need to replace both? Technically no, but if you're upgrading your low beam, wouldn't your high beam become more useless?

EDIT. Which is what they told you in your last thread about it. Two pairs of globes, I see a few replies saying that...

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
You definitely need 2 sets of globes.

I just replaced my headlights with white h4's but soon as I go high beam the light goes back to yellow which is the h1 gloves which also need to be swapped.(both globes are on but the yellow is a lot more noticeable)

So when replacing gloves if it's for the change of colour you need 2xH4 and 2xH1

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
This should help, this is for VX and VY

Low Beams: H4
High Beams: H1
Fog Lights: H3
Parker Globes: T10

VT is the same, not sure about the fog light globes though if they are H3 as well.
The H4 globe as stated above has 2 filaments so that when the high beams are turned on, the headlights are brighter too.