Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Arrrrghhh my Akubra shrunk!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Well me being the knob that i am i left my akubra hat in the sun and it has shrunk.
Does anyone know the best way to stretch it back out? Any help appreciated.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
sure your head hasn't grown??:yeah::whistling

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Do you have kids? I remember 'inheriting' my dads akubra when i was 5 or 6 years old after it blew out of the header. He found it in the same paddock almost a year later. Surprisingly it was still in pretty good condition!

EDIT: No, I don't know how to stretch them out, but thanks for sharing this moment anyway

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Have one that has shrunk too, some tosser thought it would be funny to throw it in a pool.

Never done anything about it, thinking perhaps to put it in warm water(to reset the fibres.....(try and sound like I know what im talking about) and stretch it over a dummy skull(no suggestions thanks) and leave it there till it dries

Edit, just did a search and yes akubras shrinking is a problem...amongst other advice they suggest not leaving them in the sun or letting them get hot.........yeh, Ill take it off when the sun is out...:bang:

Only found one suggestion on how to stretch it, which was fairly much as I suggested.

Last edited:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
No idea how to stretch it, but from memory dont you use the oiling solution, to stretch them like you do when you first buy them? Im not 100% sure mines a handy-down which is why its special to me.

On topic kinda, anyone know the best way to stiffen the brim? mines go all floppy.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I have a kakadu from sydney oilskin company when it gets all wet and sweaty and I take it off it dries out and shrinks so I wet it then pull it down over my head keep working then it stretches out again.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
maybe leave your head out in the sun and it might shrink to the same size as your hat , Just a thought.

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
When I bought mine the lady at the shop said the steam from a boiling kettle would help bring it back into shape. Maybe if use it on the leather band and put it on to stretch it out it might help. I left mine in the boot of my car and the brim went floppy aswell.