Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Mineworker..

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
o.k I know you need a generic passport.
once I get this, what do ya reckon chances are of getting a job when you have no prior mining experience. someone told me that they don't have trouble getting unskilled people - its more the skilled people like engineers that are in demand as they normally earn good money in the cities anyway, whereas sh*iitkickers like me will travel a million miles for a job that pays millions(!).
I shall try and get onto some of these agencies anyhow.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
holden#1 said:
o.k I know you need a generic passport.
once I get this, what do ya reckon chances are of getting a job when you have no prior mining experience.
it is true you need a generic induction before anything else to get into mining, but there are at least two different types that i know of, beinmg metalliferous (hardrock mining) and coal. once you have these, the company will most likely require you to do a site specific induction, then in my case, a third one for a specific area. it sounds really hard, but its not, once you have your generic, that is one step closer than a lot of other people are. as for job prospects, depends on what you actually want to do. Do you want to drive machinery or shovel crap? do you want apprenticeship in anything? let us know what you want to do and i might be able to help out some :thumbsup:

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I'm just keen to start with whatever I have the best chance of getting a job in.
i.e if theres plenty of jobs shovelling crap that pay $80,000 / year and an appreticeship would give me $40,000 i'll shovel crap.

I'm not too picky as long as the wages are wicked, and the job is there.

Naturally I would like to get an apprenticeship, but I have been recently separated and need the $$$$!

As for driving machinery - that would be better than shovelling crap, but the same goes as for apprenticeship - if theres more chance of me getting a job shovelling crap - I'll do it!

As I understand it, you must have your generic to be in the running?

Is it advisable to go hardcore and get your underground generic to start with?
They are twice the price from what I've heard.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i am not sure on the prices as i've never had to pay for one. but i imagine the U/G generic is a bit more as it has extra content tacked on to the surface generic. there are plenty of jobs here for instance, plant operators for example, i aint going to lie, its not a clean job and it can get a littel trying, depending on which section youre in. the money would kick off for that job at about 58 to 60k a year, 5 days a week for a start, then when the opportunity arises, you will go on to rotational 12 hour shifts and the pay increases with the shift change, up to about 65k. but that is one little area on one minesite. there are plenty more i can imagine, you just ahve to do a search and weigh up your options on what you want to do.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
EcotecManiac said:
i am not sure on the prices as i've never had to pay for one. but i imagine the U/G generic is a bit more as it has extra content tacked on to the surface generic. there are plenty of jobs here for instance, plant operators for example, i aint going to lie, its not a clean job and it can get a littel trying, depending on which section youre in. the money would kick off for that job at about 58 to 60k a year, 5 days a week for a start, then when the opportunity arises, you will go on to rotational 12 hour shifts and the pay increases with the shift change, up to about 65k. but that is one little area on one minesite. there are plenty more i can imagine, you just ahve to do a search and weigh up your options on what you want to do.

It could possibly be better than retreading tyres! b/s job and $45,000pa for 55hr weeks!!

46 degrees in the shed in summer.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
EcotecManiac is pretty much spot on.

I have worked in both underground metalliferous as a mining engineer and miner, so I will be talking about underground mining positions here.

Decide in what type of mine you want to work, coal or hard rock. Coal usually pays more with less hours of work, but that is slowly changing. Hard rock miners are quickly catching up.

If you want to earn good money and not stand in the stinking hot sun all day, go for an underground mine.

I have a generic underground coal induction, it took around 2 weeks to complete. It was paid by the company, but I think it costs a couple of grand if you are going to pay for it by yourself.

NSW metalliferous mines do not require a generic induction like the coal mines, just a site specific one. Therefore, underground metalliferous mines are easier to get into, if you are prepared to live in the bush.

Most mines are turning towards a 12 hour shift, 2 days, 2 nights, then 4 days off. Most coal mines near the coast still run the 5 day week, 8-12 hours a day.

In terms of working conditions, hardrock is cleaner but a lot hotter underground than coal. It is not uncommon for temperatures to exceed 30 degrees, with less than 5 m/s air velocity, and close to 100% humidity.

With pay, it will depend whether you work for the mining company, or a contractor. If you work for a mining company, they may have some collective agreement that specifies you will be on trainee wages for 6 months before progressing to full wages. This is usually around $60k for both metalliferous and coal. If you work for a contractor, you will most likely be on full rates straight away. You will be clearing around $1200-1500 a week in underground coal.

As a guide for full rates where I worked for various positions:

Metalliferous:

- Truck driver ~ $84,000 pa
- Jumbo operator ~ $115,000 pa
- Mining engineer ~ $85,000 - $140,000
- Mine manager ~ $200,000
- General manager ~ $300,000

Coal:

- Miner ~ $90,000 pa
- Deputy ~ $130,000 pa
- Undermanager ~ $130,000 pa
- Mining engineer ~ Same as metalliferous
- Mine manager ~ Same as metalliferous
- General manager ~ Same as metalliferous

These rates will vary with the location of the mine and the state of the industry.

Hope this helps.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
MasterOfReality said:
In terms of working conditions, hardrock is cleaner but a lot hotter underground than coal. It is not uncommon for temperatures to exceed 30 degrees, with less than 5 m/s air velocity, and close to 100% humidity.
hardrock is cleaner underground, but our zinc lead process stream on the surface is filthy:eek: as for the temps, rockface temperatures at 31e (over 1500m) can get to 50deg. plus....dont let that put you off, when there is good ventilation, it's not too bad, but you get "dead" areas where air flow is coming from two directions and cancels itself out. then it warms up a bit.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I've been thinking about going to the mines for a while, but what are the roster's like? ie 5 on 5 off or something like that???
I wouldn't relocate unless it was absolutly neccessary (hence the question) but a 7 hour drive wouldn't worry me if I had the fuel money and time for the trip.....

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
DSTRBD said:
I've been thinking about going to the mines for a while, but what are the roster's like? ie 5 on 5 off or something like that???
I wouldn't relocate unless it was absolutly neccessary (hence the question) but a 7 hour drive wouldn't worry me if I had the fuel money and time for the trip.....
there are so many different rosters on different minesites around the place, i work a 4 on, 4 off permanenet day shift at the moment, switching to a 5 day week starting monday. most other guys here are either on a 5 day week or a rotating day night, 4 on, 4 off roster. Fly in fly out minesites will sometimes do 7 on, 7 off like cannington does, with a camp onsite whilst you are there. dont pick a job purely off of the roster available, have a look for what you want to do first, then go from there

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
EcotecManiac said:
hardrock is cleaner underground, but our zinc lead process stream on the surface is filthy:eek: as for the temps, rockface temperatures at 31e (over 1500m) can get to 50deg. plus....dont let that put you off, when there is good ventilation, it's not too bad, but you get "dead" areas where air flow is coming from two directions and cancels itself out. then it warms up a bit.

The last mine I worked at was a lead zinc mine too. It wasn't as deep as Cannington, probably around 1200 metres or so.

The surface was absolutely filthy. The **** got everywhere, even inside the computers.

The highest temps I recorded (i was acting ventilation engineer at the time) was 38 degrees dry bulb and 37 wet bulb and 0.01 m/s air flow. That was in a level which we were developing that hadn't broken through to the vent rise. We ended up using a raisebore hole as a temp vent rise. Fark that was hot and humid. Look after those vent bags!