Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Mineworker..

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
Just wondering guys, would an apprenticeship in heavy vehicle mechanics lead to a decent job in mining industry? I know I'd b trained on Caterpillar and earthmoving machinery, so is this a viable way intot he mining industry?

VHSLX3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Pac VH SL/X
gday. my father just got an HR license has no mining experience in his life but is looking at getting a job driving for them. How hard do you guys think it will be for him to get a job? and anyone here no anyone that could help out with it. Cheers

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
he could start with a Contractor company... the mines use lots of Contractor companies... to drive the big dump trucks 100 + tons you dont need HR lisence as the mines will train you... they are all automatics, about 60 kph top speed..

tim2x

Reaction score
Hi guys, this thread has some really good infomation! but i've got a few questions.

I live in melbourne and just wondering, whats the deal with the Fly in and fly out stuff? is there any websites that could give me some details? what qualifications do i need? ( Im only 19 and have none than factory work:p)

Cheers guys.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i have lots of rocks, probably about 200 tonnes of pretty rugged bluestone. anyone want it?

BeNoS

PROUDLY ON THE PUSHY
Reaction score
Members Ride
1000hp trek pushie (on a good day)
hey im bout 8 months into an apprentice as a normal ****ty car mechenic is there much of a demand for ppl like me in mining towns and wat would the pay be like as an apprentice would be looking to get into either driving or deisel mechenics after ive finished or am i better to wait the couple of years and them come up and do wat eva is available i dont mind relocating if needed or fly in fly out either way i aint o fussed

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Honestly, you would be better off finishing your apprenticeship, then looking for something then. You could jag something and then become dual trade qualified.....Thats my opinion anyway.

jamesl_VTSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
[PHATSS]
i've been looking into becoming a drillers assistant, would any of you miners know much about this job and whats it like? its seems like a very hard place to get into.