Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Asking price...

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hi all,

With regards to an asking price on a car.
Do people take into consideration what money has been spent over recent time (ie last 24 months etc) when buying cars?

I'm considering whether to sell mine or not, and I don't want stupid money for it or anything crazy to get my money back on what I've spent on it. That's not how it works. But would you be inclined to buy a car with high kms if you've seen thousands have been spent replacing parts and modifying the car?

I'd like to get around 10k for my 5L VT SS. has approx 275,000kms. I've literally spent just under 10k on it in the past 18 months doing bits and pieces and that doesn't include the original purchase of the car.
Is this unreasonable or justifyable to ask for this if I decide to sell?

Given I've seen some advertised here in WA for around the 7.5-10k mark, most generally have less kms, so I don't feel I'm completely clueless with the market and being a 'dreamer' etc with asking for around 10k, I would've thought it to be reasonable, maybe a little less... but what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Mirkz

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hi all,

With regards to an asking price on a car.
Do people take into consideration what money has been spent over recent time (ie last 24 months etc) when buying cars?

I'm considering whether to sell mine or not, and I don't want stupid money for it or anything crazy to get my money back on what I've spent on it. That's not how it works. But would you be inclined to buy a car with high kms if you've seen thousands have been spent replacing parts and modifying the car?

I'd like to get around 10k for my 5L VT SS. has approx 275,000kms. I've literally spent just under 10k on it in the past 18 months doing bits and pieces and that doesn't include the original purchase of the car.
Is this unreasonable or justifyable to ask for this if I decide to sell?

Given I've seen some advertised here in WA for around the 7.5-10k mark, most generally have less kms, so I don't feel I'm completely clueless with the market and being a 'dreamer' etc with asking for around 10k, I would've thought it to be reasonable, maybe a little less... but what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Mirkz
Extra $$ spent rarely adds onto the sale price of the car. Recently sold my VT for hardly what i'd spent AFTER the purchase price.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
you'd be hard pressed to get $7.5k for a VT2 SS man. with half that km...

the reality is people can ask whatever but see what they actually change hands for

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Mmm that's what I was thinking.
Chances are I'll just bide my time and hang onto it for now.
Moreso throwing ideas around in my head at the moment.

Given the money spent so far, I'm thinking it'd be better for me to just hold onto it for a long time. It's a good car and I enjoy it by all means.
I just know I'll spend more money on it doing more mods, money I should probably spend elsewhere :p

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yep there is a point that you get to where a car becomes a money pit and its time to move on, i spent about $7k on my old car in the last 4 years replaced almost everything, I got market value for it $2k no reg no rwc which was expected. you should be able to get the top market value if you have receipts for all the work done and reg and rwc, the K's could hurt you but intellegent buyers will see through the k's to see a genuine car thats been maintained. you will always get people trying to lowball you though. Its a tough choice whether to keep our treasured cars or move on to bigger and better (faster and newer) things.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i always LOL at people spending heaps of dollars on plain Commodore 3.8 autos... it really is dead money

sure if that's really what you wanna do and guys will be guys.. labour is expensive and parts are expensive

it's always been in the back of my mind that an avg. VT2+ SS. manual is worth more in parts than as a car

but if you intend to keep the car for a long time and you enjoy it for what it is, that's fine

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but commodores depreciate a hell of a lot :surprise:

and mods and money spent means nothing basically.

My new car is a VX SS 136k on the clock and i got it for $7200 (down from $9000) with 8 months rego and monaro themed.. Couple things of course need doing, but only very minor things on the backburner such as stereo upgrade, speakers etc (probably buying this weekend)

When i was looking at SS Commodores, i did see the VT SS. If it has a Gen3 LS1 engine then you can get better money, if the slug V8 5.0 (sounds good though) then im afraid not much money back.
I saw one going for $4500 in excellent condition, mags, paint 140k on the clock etc and looked fantastic and no one touched it.

In these times, V8s are hardly looked at by buyers, especially the older 5.0L Commos and old Windsor fords as they dont have great perfromance and fuel guzzlers.

With those kms on your car, regardless of money spent im not gonna say. Looks clean though

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Cheers guys.
Yeah figured it'd be the case but thought I'd ask anyway, just to hear everyone elses thoughts.
Especially this day an age where petrol prices are climbing etc.
v8's definitely don't have much 'pulling power' in terms of sales, and I can understand the ole 5L. She's a slug, but sounds great.. LOL