Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

assistance diagnosing fault (VTII wagon)

mighty commy wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Good afternoon everyone,

I have many issues with my VTII wagon, however there is a new fault that has me worried.

During start up,
'Error' appears on odometer

the following lights on the dash illuminate;
ABS OFF
Check power-train
Oil Pressure
TRAC OFF

CRUISE light fail to illuminate when commanded. Cruise control continues to function and ACTIVE light continues to function when prompted.

Cooling fans activate

Temperature gauge needle fails (still points towards C)

Whilst driving, the symptoms are the same but without the oil pressure light illuminating.
ABS OFF light is often the first to illuminate, Followed by TRAC OFF & Check power-train.

Often, whilst driving the warning lights extinguish though the cooling fan stays on. However the warnings come and go as the driving continues

For reference;
Oil levels are good.
Thermostat has been replaced in the last year
engine is V6, running primarily on petrol.
439,951km.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Pretty good chance your ABS module is stuffed, a common fault. Unplug the module and see if any of the warning lights turn off, the ABS light will still stay on though.

Semi Driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3800 Series ii Sedan
Good afternoon everyone,

I have many issues with my VTII wagon, however there is a new fault that has me worried.

During start up,
'Error' appears on odometer

the following lights on the dash illuminate;
ABS OFF
Check power-train
Oil Pressure
TRAC OFF

CRUISE light fail to illuminate when commanded. Cruise control continues to function and ACTIVE light continues to function when prompted.

Cooling fans activate

Temperature gauge needle fails (still points towards C)

Whilst driving, the symptoms are the same but without the oil pressure light illuminating.
ABS OFF light is often the first to illuminate, Followed by TRAC OFF & Check power-train.

Often, whilst driving the warning lights extinguish though the cooling fan stays on. However the warnings come and go as the driving continues

For reference;
Oil levels are good.
Thermostat has been replaced in the last year
engine is V6, running primarily on petrol.
439,951km.

I had similar problems:-----: I changed my temp sensor unit, Problem solved on mine

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
I had similar problems:-----: I changed my temp sensor unit, Problem solved on mine
Hey mate, how did you figure out that it was your temp sensor? I'm having a similar problem on my vx.

Semi Driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3800 Series ii Sedan
Temp gauge went up to between 1/4 and 1/2 then dropped between C and 1/4. Changed temp sender unit, bought temp gauge back to normal and MIL light went out and hasn't been on since. All Faults were cleared from memory and still no fault light has come up. Worth a try for the sake of $29.95 from AutoPro

Raz R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 V6
Cheers for your reply mate. I haven't had the same problem with temp gauge so doubt it's that, but I'll def look into it.