Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Attempt to fix crank angle sensor my self?

vs calais 95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
G'day, my CAS has **** it self again (3rd time) I was driving and there was a car parked on the road on a bloody corner, I drove around it and there was a car coming around the corner so I had to swing left hard to avoid hitting them and that's when everything cut out which I've come to realise is the crank angle sensor shitting itself. I've borrowed someone else car and every time I drive past that pricks house and they have their car parked on the road I smash the horn on, I've nearly had 2 other people nearly hit me when I've been coming the other direction, they haven't parked there for a while so I'm hoping they have got the message.

Anyhow, I'm sick of paying too much to fix this thing. I'm fairly certain it is the crank angle sensor so I don't want to take it to the mechanic for them to run it through the computer and then charge me like $80 (give or take, not quite sure) when I can buy the part off ebay for about $30. I found a how to thread on here that says repco have them for about $70 and genuine are $130. Are the crank angle sensors on Ebay worth buying or are they cheap rubbish? And If I do replace it and find out that it isn't the CAS I would of rather pay $30 on the part and doing it my self than taking it in and have them charge me a shitload to run the computer on it.

And is this a hard job? I don't have much mechanical experience when it comes to cars but the tutorial seems pretty easy to follow, I just don't want to screw anything up and be without a car for any longer than I already have.

Cheers

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Are you certain it's the CAS? Something's wrong if you've gone through 3? Don't the mechanics offer some sort of warranty?

You sure it isn't a swirl pot issue (no fuel in swirl pot when you turn a corner sharply)

Cas replacement is easy just remember you need a new harmonic balancer bolt as well as they are torque to yeild and can't be reused

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Next time it cuts out, tip cold water on it (CAS), see if the car will start again...

vs calais 95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Okay I did the paper clip to run the diagnostic tool and it flashed 12 a few times and then it flashed 97 a few times which is "Code 97 - Canister Purge Solenoid and/or Circuit"

I was sure it was the CAS but I guess not. Is this something that is easily fixable to do my self?

Edit: Also, if this is the problem, will I still be able to drive? I haven't even attempted to start it as I have assumed it was the CAS the whole time and have had a car that I've been able to drive so I can save some money to get it fixed and I thought if I were to start it and have it crap out again it would make it hard getting it to the garage to get it looked at.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
See this link for your code 97 - could be your problem.....possibly the connection is bad or it's sticking.
Also what exactly happens - does it stall and die or stall and pickup....does this happen on a low fuel level?
Good Luck.

vs calais 95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
See this link for your code 97 - could be your problem.....possibly the connection is bad or it's sticking.
Also what exactly happens - does it stall and die or stall and pickup....does this happen on a low fuel level?
Good Luck.

The link in your post doesn't seem to appear?

Well the last time I drove was when it cut out, I was going down hill and was able to roll to my drive way and got the car half way up and my brother towed me the rest of the way to the car port. So it's been sitting there for a while, I assumed that if I was to drive it and it was the crank angle sensor, it might cut out again.

I will charge it and see if it starts and see what happens. Maybe it could throw different codes seeing as it hasn't been started since it cut out last. Not sure if that's how it works though.

Edit: Not sure of the fuel level, I'll update tomorrow.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
So you where going down hill and had to swerve hard left as well? could just be low fuel. When the cas goes, it is common to be able to start it after it all cools down, until it dies completely that is. Never had any luck cooling it by tipping water on it myself.

Remember when checking codes there may be more than one error. So 12 flashes three times, then all errors flash 3 times. When all error codes have displayed, it always finishes by flashing 12 again 3 times. Did you wait see that? If not you may need to have another go.

The coil pack's DFI module can also cut out and act just like the cas has died, that happened to mine. It pays to try a known working module to rule that one out before you change the cas, just because it's so much easier to do. Yep, found out the hard way on that one.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Do a GOOGLE search on "Code 97 - Canister Purge Solenoid and/or Circuit"