Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Attempted Hotwiring of my 89 VN Calais

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
question is, was the car deadlocked when you left it when someone broke into it??

from my days as a motor mechanic, i have dealt with lots of vn-vs break in repairs, when asked, was the car deadlocked or just locked, most people say, huh?? whats deadlock?? these people are the people who had their car successfully broken into or stolen cause they had no idea how to deadlock their car.
majority of people who answered yes to having it deadlocked the repair was only a window or door handle, no entry was ever gained to the vehicle.

Mate of mine with an VN SV5000 has had about half a dozen people try to steal his car, not a single attempt ever gained entry into it due to the fact he always deadlocked it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
question is, was the car deadlocked when you left it when someone broke into it??

from my days as a motor mechanic, i have dealt with lots of vn-vs break in repairs, when asked, was the car deadlocked or just locked, most people say, huh?? whats deadlock?? these people are the people who had their car successfully broken into or stolen cause they had no idea how to deadlock their car.
majority of people who answered yes to having it deadlocked the repair was only a window or door handle, no entry was ever gained to the vehicle.

Mate of mine with an VN SV5000 has had about half a dozen people try to steal his car, not a single attempt ever gained entry into it due to the fact he always deadlocked it.

Agreed,anyone who has tried to break into a commodore when its deadlocked will know its nearly impossible to open them.The only way we found is to smash a window and tear a hole in the door trim to gain access to the lock actuator.Even when access to the door lock actuator is made,the actuator is electronically jammed in the lock position and is impossible to open manually.A mate bought a wrecked VS that had been deadlocked and the key had been lost.It took ages just to get into and open 1 door.Theres no way anyone stealing a car would have enough time ,or be able to be quiet enough to do what we had to do .I always use my deadlocking feature on my VS,I just wish you could deadlock the VS with the remote like on the later models.The deadlocking feature was first fitted to the VN calais,and was later made standard across the whole range.

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
The Dead-lock feature.. does it unjam the loks if the battery is disconnected? if so they could jst break the window, reach in and pop teh bonnet and disconnect the battery?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
The Dead-lock feature.. does it unjam the loks if the battery is disconnected? if so they could jst break the window, reach in and pop teh bonnet and disconnect the battery?

nope, its electrically deadlocked mechanically, needs to be electrically undeadlocked mechanically. its like you putting a long piece of wood on the sliding rail of a sliding door, you cant open it, it is mechanically jammed. you need to physically remove that piece of wood before the door can open. same thing on the door locks, you need power to remove the jamming mechanism. dicsonnecting the battery will do nothing.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Does anyone know with the remote deadlocking if you can set it up so it deadlocks on the first press of the lock button instead of the second press, coz I forget to press it twice sometimes.