Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AU falcon vs VN/P

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've been driving both these cars everyday for a few weeks now, swapping cars a few times during the day. So I thought I'd give my thoughts on the differences. Now I've been swapping into my VP 5 liter but the story is the same for the V6 apart from a bit less power.

The AU is just smooth and nice to cruise the highway on, The VP is a pretty bumpy ride but it's alot more racey on quick changes in direction due to the FE2 suspension. But I have to say the AU handles better or has much more potential to handle better because I've had it sideways accidently a few times and you can steer out of the slide way more easy than I can in the VP, in the AU one little counter steer and you are straight again in the VP I tend to end up doing a few crazy fishies up the road before I'm back in control :).

So the AU wins in handling. The brakes are good on the AU, better than a VN V6 but not quite as good as the 5 litres brakes (or FE2 V6), that's probably just because the AU's a couple hundred kg's heavier. The looks.... well although it's a later series of AU and looks ok it's not as pretty as either a VN or VP, but it's not too bad these days.

The interior is black in the AU and look styling as but I don't really like the shape of the dash compared to the VN/P which is way more classic and I'd say way more drugs were involved in the design of the AU's dash:p. AU wins on seats and VN/P wins on dash. I like the AU's Hazzard switch hiding behind the wheel better than the stupid triangle red button on the VY/Z but the VN/P's is in a even better spot.

Fuel use, well the AU wins that standing on it's head backwards, no comparason really against either the V6 or V8, it's very cheap to run a AU (great taxi :p)

Power, both the V6 VN and 5 liter VP are waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than a AU, the AU goes ok though! pretty good for a family cruising machine, it has traction issues from a standing start but even from a rolling start it's not near as quick as the V6 although it definatly has decent power, it's just the weight keeping it that second and a half or so slower to 100.

Easy of driving, The AU has less brain stress because it rattles less, well not at all. Steers easy, brakes easy all the pedals are grandma friendly soft etc. When I get straight out of the AU into the 5 liter VP im like uRGHH heavy wheel, heavy throttle, massssssssive heavy steering, push throttle harder to go forward... rip a hole in the driveway etc. It just feels so much heavier and tank like even though it's 200 kgs lighter than the AU. Anyway that's my opinions of those cars :)

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
You forgot how boggy the AU's are down low compared to the VNV6 aswell...:whistling
The Hire car AU I drove after the VN (s)pakker I had handled like a meatball, imo???
And yes, the VN is muuuuch prettier...:yeah:

andynogo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 wagon
:eek: Greenie, don't tell me you have gone to the dark side!!!!!:D

andynogo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 wagon
I must admit my VP is pretty agricultural compared to the VY I drive at work (about to be upgraded to a VE- we'll see how that is). I owned (preparing for flameage) an EB Fairmont Ghia 5L a few years back and thought it was probably a bit nicer than my VP...but... that fuel consumption! Terrible for the 302. Still prefer the looks of my dunnydoor to the fords, especially in wagon form.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
i know what you mean greenfoam, when i drove my mates AU (was a manual but) the handling was better then the vn i have..... even though mine isnt hard to fix when it slides out (for some reason my steering is VERY light) so its not as bad.... there not a bad car really, but i drove and manual and i heard the auto's go like crap because of such a long 1st gear? oooooo well ill stay to my vn. thank god holden didnt make the mistake of putting a long ratio for 1st gear:D:D:D

vq_statss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statsman..5lt
how can u compare a newer car to a 15 year old car of course it will handle better being a new car.technolgy has changed a lot over the years..shouldnt u compare to a vt or somthing.i had a xr8 au 5 speed pursuit ute with tickford motor that i used for work..apprently they have 220/250 kw.yes it went hard but i reckon me staty has more down low and wouldve give it a good go.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My dads AU is soooo slow (181000kms & gas). Say no more. Steers OK and with new rotors stops OK

The heavy steering on a VN/VP is generally the size and tread depth of tyre. Too big and worn out tyres = heavy steering. Oh and the amount of air in em.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
how can u compare a newer car to a 15 year old car of course it will handle better being a new car.technolgy has changed a lot over the years..shouldnt u compare to a vt or somthing.i had a xr8 au 5 speed pursuit ute with tickford motor that i used for work..apprently they have 220/250 kw.yes it went hard but i reckon me staty has more down low and wouldve give it a good go.

I also drive a VY almost every day but It's pretty much the same as a VN/P but a bit slower (still faster than the AU) and the VY has no rattles apart from that and equal brakes to the 5 liter VP it's the same to drive as a VN/P but really apart from the rattles they aren't much different

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4

Well if you think about it, in terms of suspension Holden has been using the same mcpherson strut front setup in the commdores for a long long time, with minor revisions. The IRS setup used from VP onwards didn't change an awful lot through to VY either from what I've seen of it.

The only difference if he compared it to a VT rather than the VN/VP would be that the VT gains back a little in terms of smoothness (although the ecotec is still a harsher engine than the ford I6) and loses out a little in terms of acceleration.

My own experiences lead me to agree entirely with greenfoams assesment of the two vehicles. I would also add that while he says the AU steers and brakes "easy" I find both to be far too soft for my liking. The firm pedal and steering feel in the commodores makes them a far better "drivers car" IMHO. Late model falcons make very comfortable highway cars though, lost count of the amount of times I've had this argument with dad, he reckons the VN isn't comfortable enough, I reckon his AU is a grandpa car. :p (EDIT: Just remembered that's ok, in two months time he will be a grandfather, poor bastard) :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
hhaah, yeah the VN is the better car to drive if you are into sporty for sure the AU well all Fords really have the brakes set up to come on very hard early in the pedal and then have not much left after the initial bite, that's something I don't like but you do get used to it. Holden tend to set the brakes up so you have no initial bite and you have to go deeper on the pedal, but it's more progressive.

Still I'm not saying the AU is good or VN's are good or anything, just the differences between them and all the Fords from EA to BF share alot of parts with the AU and I expect would be fairly similar to drive just like there's not alot of difference between the Commodores pre VE right back to the VB's (apart from the driveline).

My VH sle with a 202 still feels just like any other Commodore to drive except its also lacking in the VN/P's rattles :)