Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AU Falcon

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I know it's not a commodore but you guys are geniuses so I thought, why not lol...

I just got an AU1 Futura to replace my VS Commodore.

In the Commodore I had components in the front (tweaters in the dash, 6.5" woofers made to fit in doors, splits on the fuse cover door and amp in the boot). In the parcel shelf a pair of 6" coaxials for rear fill and a 12" sub/amp in the boot.

I would like to fit these into the AU although it's got 5x7" holes and from what I gather no factory position to mount the tweeters.

So I wonder, Would I need to create/find some sort of adapter, and would it be worthwhile to install the tweaters in the door, possibly next to the woofers or should I just save myself a lot of time and only go for coaxials all around? Maybe invest in 5x7"s? The range of choice in 5x7" is very poor I've found.

Also it's currently got what looks like a cheaper Kenwood brand head unit. Should I swap this over for my Pioneer head unit? They both have MP3 and WMA which I want but would there be a difference in audio output quality, especially if the coaxials are going to run off the head unit? I think both are 4x50w.

Also any tips or ideas would of coarse be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
With the tweeters mate, put them in the top right of each door card. When I had the old AU, I had them installed there. Sounded great.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You can easily make you own 5" x 7" adaptors from 6mm MDF, take the old speakers out and trace them onto the MDF, mark out the mounting holes too. Then cut out your 6.5" hole in the centre of the spacer, screw spacer to door then speaker to spacer. Yep, the range of 5x7s is pretty poor, so stick with 6.5s.

You can put the tweeters anywhere you like, maybe try mounting them temporarily (with bluetak for example) and having a listen, change them around abit until you find the best spot.

I dont think you'll notice a a difference in sound by swapping head-units, if you like post up each model number and we can do a quick comparision, but there wont be much in it i reckon.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
There is a factory position just underneath the windscreen in these cars for tweeters. Keeps them hidden from prying eyes and sounds great.
If I get an opportunity I can post up a pic of this location if you like.
Even with the rears you can do the same thing as with the doors. Just Follow Holden Boys advice and you cant go wrong.

cheers

Simon

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I just noticed that factory position in the dash after I screwed one side into the A pillar... ah doesn't matter now...

I made the spacers with some MDF, absolutely perfect, the woofers are in the doors and they're rebuilt, just sorting out all the wiring (time is limited so I do what I can when possible).

The two models of head units are:

Kenwood KDC MP333
Pioneer DEH 2950MP

Both have pretty similar specs; 4x45w, rear rca output only

I've been using the kenwood with the stock speakers for a couple of weeks now and it seems more feature-filled than the pioneer, what do you guys think I should run for the HU?

Thanks for all the help so far guys, very much appreciated (even though I've defected to Ford lol)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
With the headunit, I would just use whichever one feels better to use navigating through the menus etc.

A mate of mine has 6x9s in the parcel shelf and as far as I'm aware they fit fine, although he might have spacers in there too. Haven't been in his car for a while.
6.5" coaxials would do the job in the back anyway

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Theres not much in those head-units.....The Pioneer has a front 3.5mm AUX input whereas the Kenwood dosent (AFAIK). If that dosent bother you stay with the Kenwood, less work ;)