Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audi, BMW or Mercedes?

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
well,i personally wouldnt buy any of them. i have worked in alot of european workshops,panel shops as well as spare parts places both new & used,the parts prices are friggin ridiculous. you will need a 2nd mortgage just too fix the thing if it breaks down on you. examples-a mercedes benz front crossmember bolt,secondhand $120-new $240. a bmw 3 series l/f guard secondhand $300-new $900. a bmw engine secondhand average price $3-4000 or more,can be upto $10000 or more if its an M3 engine-new,you wouldnt even want to know. prices will vary from place to place but they still will be around the same possibly more. if you seriously want one,what i would do is sit down & write a little list of parts you think may break,get damaged etc for one reason or another,from an engine,gearbox,headlight etc. then get prices on the replacement parts,from there figure out is it really worth it. all 3 are nice cars to drive for different reasons but i wouldnt touch one with a ten foot barge pool unless money was never an issue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
but i wouldnt touch one with a ten foot barge pool unless money was never an issue

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that's the price to pay when you want something German. I've been after a German car all my life and I think I will get one. Prices are high yet I know a fair few people with europian cars that havent sent them bankrupt.

/posted via mobile device\

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
They're not that expensive.

My 2000 vectra (worth about $4000) cost me over $2000 for a major service last year. The Merc's major service is aprox $1500 which occurs every 2-3years. The minor service is about $600.

Audi was about the same.
The services may be a little more expensive compared to a commodore but I feel that they're less frequent

Matty.b

VR with 56,000kms genuine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
worked at Mercedes as a mechanic for a while, my favorite car brand when i was in Germany nearly got a job there....awesome cars

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
If you're considering the A6, you'll find this interesting. Official pictures: New Audi A6
Cheaper run-out sale or get the first of the new lot.

Thanks, but a brand new one won't be justifiable financially, even if a runout. 2005-2006 quottro would be my target. Also, quottros are quite expensive new and even if i could justify a brand new or demo, the 4 cylinder model non-quottro would probably be my only option price wise. I'd rather go a bit older and get the mid to top range model. Pre owned, the quottros are not that much more then the FWDs.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
worked at Mercedes as a mechanic for a while, my favorite car brand when i was in Germany nearly got a job there....awesome cars

I love Benz too, I just feel like you get more bang for your buck with Audi. but then again, a Benz seams to hold value better.

My patents neighbours bought an A6 demo 3-4 years ago for over $90k. I can get the same car now for 35k with only 50000km. Crazy value drop.

An E class with over 100000km is still between $35k - $40k.

I had the option of buying a BMW 320i for 35k two years ago when I bought the caprice. But it was just too slow. But even with the KMs I would have put on the car, I estimate I could now sell it for a loss of only about $2000 where as I've lost between $5000 - $6000 off the caprice already.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Have a look at the BMW 335, they are very nice

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Thanks, but a brand new one won't be justifiable financially, even if a runout. 2005-2006 quottro would be my target. Also, quottros are quite expensive new and even if i could justify a brand new or demo, the 4 cylinder model non-quottro would probably be my only option price wise. I'd rather go a bit older and get the mid to top range model. Pre owned, the quottros are not that much more then the FWDs./posted via mobile device\

I agree. Both my Audi and Merc were bought second had still within the Warrenty period for significantly cheaper price. I'd rather let someone else cop the initial depreciation.

I'd consider a look at the Audi Allroad. 2005 model, comes with a 2.7L Twin Turbo (detuned engine from the B5 series RS4) or 4.2L V8 (detuned engine from the B6-B8 series RS4) Quattro packed with goodies for about $35K

Here's an example
2005 AUDI ALLROAD QUATTRO C5 MY04 Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au