Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Australian saloon car

Aaronsbt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn executive 5L 5speed
hey blokes, just would like to know if any of you get into australian saloon car racing, in the way of driving, working and/or building them? i need advice on what i need to build and race one as i have a stock vn v6 5speed ready to be converted.
your help would be much appreciated

kind regards
Aaron

FusionX

Reaction score
Your best bet is to download a copy of the regulations, it will give you a good idea whats required to be done. It is a lot cheaper to buy a good Saloon car now then it is to build one. You can buy a competitive second hand VN for $11-12k, while to build one can cost over twice to three times that much.

Once the car has been stripped, you need to buy all the required suspension parts from Pedders, a brake package from PBR and a cage. The motor needs to be rebuilt to specs, this is where to comes costly as to be competitive you have to machine everything to as close to specs as possible. Say good bye to $10k plus, if you plan on building your motor. Gearbox you can run standard, but they don't last long. Rebuilds can cost between $1500 to $7000, depending on the quality of the gear you want to put inside. Plus you need all the things like safety gear (harness, race seat, extinguisher... all the little things add up).

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L

FusionX

Reaction score
Ah good, I was talking about the right one then. Although I thought Bridgestone was back on as the control tyre... ah well it is here in WA (last year was Dunlops)

vrsprint

Reaction score
Members Ride
various
Ah good, I was talking about the right one then. Although I thought Bridgestone was back on as the control tyre... ah well it is here in WA (last year was Dunlops)

Yes we are back on Bridgestone
In reply to the original question it far cheaper and more cost effective to buy a already built car. A new late model VT / AU to be competitive will cost in the area of 30 - 40 k to built and that does not include running costs (Believe me I know)

kyle46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8,VH v8 commodore