Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming of My Link Screen

riverina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF SV6 11
Good day to all , and Best Wishes for the holiday season,
I find that the screen on my MY15 Caprice V will automatically dim when driving along IN THE DAYTIME - despite being set on Daylight setting. I am aware that as night approaches or light conditions change - the screen can change to night setting - but mine will change when driving along - in constant daylight conditions. VERY ANNOYING. Has anyone else experienced this with their vehicles.
I have the same annoying problem with my car. I don't know what Holden were thinking when they thought it was necessary for this feature. Most annoying when following the GPS and go through a bit if shade and the thing dimms so you can hardly see it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't know what Holden were thinking when they thought it was necessary for this feature.
I suspect they were thinking that they wished they had been allowed to source electrics/electronics from somewhere other than the cheap-sh1t GM mothership which had forced them to be half a decade (or more) behind most other manufacturers since the 70’s.

riverina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VF SV6 11
Is there a push-out part in your dash mat to expose the light sensor? The other function of the dome device is to advertise the security system is active in the vehicle. Can you punch a neat hole in the mat to expose the dome ?
I read that if you remove the dome thing, it just flips out with a small screw driver then the unit comes apart. It will have a little resistance, clean of the soft vertical opaque silicone stuff off the top of flat vertical piece, put back together and everything works fine. I did it on my VF and have now regained some sanity.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I read that if you remove the dome thing, it just flips out with a small screw driver then the unit comes apart. It will have a little resistance, clean of the soft vertical opaque silicone stuff off the top of flat vertical piece, put back together and everything works fine. I did it on my VF and have now regained some sanity.
I've read in other threads around here that this worked for a couple of years, but then it got worse again ... dunno if that astromech droid's plastic head is suffering UV degradation that's stopping light getting in & being sense properly?

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
I did the mod (remove some of the goop in the sensor) a couple of years ago and the auto lights work to my satisfaction. During summer when driving to work (southerly direction) in the morning the lights would turn on and off repeatedly when the sunlight on the sensor was blocked by the A pillar. Removing the goop has stabilised the auto light function and the lights don't turn on and off light a Xmas tree,

Bugs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I did the mod (remove some of the goop in the sensor) a couple of years ago and the auto lights work to my satisfaction. During summer when driving to work (southerly direction) in the morning the lights would turn on and off repeatedly when the sunlight on the sensor was blocked by the A pillar. Removing the goop has stabilised the auto light function and the lights don't turn on and off light a Xmas tree,
Hi Sam.

Can you give us instructions on how to remove some of the goop from the sensor? Thanks.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi Bugs,

I just followed the instruction in the following link. Ambient Light Sensor Fix | Chevy SS Forum .

The start of the thread provides instructions on how to remove the sensor from the dash.

Posts 139 and 140 provide the instruction to pull the sensor apart.

Post 150 has a picture of the internals of the sensor.

I initially removed all the goop (very sticky) and then realised the heat load sensor was completely exposed. I gathered that the climate control would not function correctly as designed (words chosen carefully because I can never get the temp right) and would be worse. I pulled it apart again and placed the goop over the heat load sensor.

In your case I would just use a razor and ever so gently cut into the goop and remove it bit by bit. When you get close to the light sensor just use your fingers to remove the goop to expose the light sensor. Just need to be careful and patient.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bugs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi Bugs,

I just followed the instruction in the following link. Ambient Light Sensor Fix | Chevy SS Forum .

The start of the thread provides instructions on how to remove the sensor from the dash.

Posts 139 and 140 provide the instruction to pull the sensor apart.

Post 150 has a picture of the internals of the sensor.

I initially removed all the goop (very sticky) and then realised the heat load sensor was completely exposed. I gathered that the climate control would not function correctly as designed (words chosen carefully because I can never get the temp right) and would be worse. I pulled it apart again and placed the goop over the heat load sensor.

In your case I would just use a razor and ever so gently cut into the goop and remove it bit by bit. When you get close to the light sensor just use your fingers to remove the goop to expose the light sensor. Just need to be careful and patient.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Sam. Much appreciated.