Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto electrican Astra VXR

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, wait for the Boost Pressure Sensor to arrive then take it back to the auto lekky Astra guru.

Now, the Astra guru MUST carry out this procedure to the letter to calibrate the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor).

1. Get the auto lekky to use his scan tool and go into any other module in the vehicle, one that is programmed correctly to the vehicle (Obviuosly NOT the CIM or SAS). Attempt to reset the ECM/ECU (Engine Control Module/Engine Control Unit) in the reset menu, BUT DO NOT ACTUALLY GO THROUGH WITH A RESET. Now, I don't know what his scan tool has in the way of menus and what not, but it should ask him........(after putting in the security code)
<Do you really want to reset ECM>
If it asks this, then the correct security code IS being used. DON'T ACTUALLY RESET THE ECM, THIS IS JUST TO CHECK IF THE SECURITY CODE BEING USED IS CORRECT.
EXIT BACK OUT OF THE RESET PROCEDURE.

(If the scan tool says WRONG SECURITY CODE when doing the above check, then it really is the wrong code and that is a whole lot of pain in the ass). Did they give you the right code?

Now if the above procedure confirms it's the correct security code after checking, then Astra guru will need to follow these four steps to the letter.

1. Disconnect the battery. Must be disconnected for a MINIMUM of five minutes.

2. Check that ALL the steering components are in the straight ahead position. This includes the front wheels, CIM (Colomn Intergration Module), Or (SAS Steering Angle Sensor). If necessary remove the steering wheel and check adjust the middle position of the CIM (Module behind the steering wheel/clock spring) To check the CIM is in the central position after removing steering wheel, there are a set of arrow markers at the 5 o'clock position on the front of the CIM housing. Ensure these arrow markers are pointing to each other and in line.

3. If battery has been disconnected for a minimum of five minutes, reconnect the battery.

4. Attempt to reprogram/calibrate the steering angle sensor with the security code you got from Holden.

Report back the outcome please.

P.S. Is the original EHU (Radio unit) the one that was out of this vehicle when new? OR have they just grabbed any old radio unit from another astra from a wrecker and chucked that in???

Last edited:

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
hey @VT2Commie , apologies for the radio silence, I actually didn't get a notification that you responded. I went to a different Holden dealership and requested my immobilizer code again just to be sure, still waiting for hear back. Actuallly I am not sure if the code Holden provided me is correct, I'll ask the tech and report back.

So a bit of a status update.

The good stuff:

- Realised the radio that was in there wasn't actually the genuine radio for the car hence why it wasn't working (it was as you said, just grabbed any Astra radio from the wrecker). Have since replaced it with an aftermarket radio with reverse camera. Another issue arose was that once new radio was in, there was no sound. After trouble shooting found the front drivers side split wasn’t mounted properly and was bottoming out causing a short. So radio in and working, which clears the radio code issues.

The not so good stuff:

- Determined that the CIM module needs replacing and blinkers were not cancelling and the SAS was not able to be calibrated. New genuine CIM ordered and is with tech. Latest update was that he tried programming it with a generic tool but it gave an invalid key message. Not sure what key as I didn’t ask, but he till try with a tech 2 tool and report back. So hopefully once sorted and with your advice above we can clear the CIM error and the SAS calibration issue.

- Replaced the boost pressure sensor with a new unit in an attempt to solve the two engine codes below, as the sensor provides intake air tempt and boost pressure, but no luck. All wiring has been traced back to engine ecu and no damage can be seen. Do you know what else could be causing the boost pressure sensor fault @VT2Commie ? Could the engine ecu be the culprit?

- P0110 intake air temp sensor circuit high input
- P0235 boost pressure sensor circuit high input

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
hey @VT2Commie ,

The not so good stuff:

- Determined that the CIM module needs replacing and blinkers were not cancelling and the SAS was not able to be calibrated.
So, was this was determined AFTER doing the above checking procedure?

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
So, was this was determined AFTER doing the above checking procedure?

Can't confirm myself, but i would asume he would have done that, he is very thorough and when I watch him he follows a logical process and explains what he is doing. He is away this weekend, i'll get another update once he returns and then I confirm the above for you.
He checekd the voltage and continuity on the 4 wires leading from the boost pressure sensor and they seemed fine.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Ok ao he called me today @VT2Commie CIM module in and steering angle sensor has been calibrated, the immobilizer code holden gave me was incorrect but he used a tech2 and it was able to scan the correct code. They gave me the code but 2 numbers were the wrong way around hahaha.
So yeh, the engine light is still on and the 2 codes that remain are the boost sensor and intake air temp. He isn't confident as he checked a lot of things but perhaps thinks it might be the engine ecu. No idea!

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
If the lekky has check all wiring, terminal tensions at the Air temp/Boost pressure sensor and replaced the Boost pressure sensor, it can only leave the ECU at fault. Opel placed the ECM in a not so ideal place on these models, being on the engine and tucked in down near the firewall of the vehicle. Think "heatsoak" to a critical electronic component. It's quite possible the ECU is cooked.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Bugger, going to be difficult to try and track down an engine ECU in that case. Yeh haha I did notice the ridiculous position of this ECU in the engine bay, near the firewall, what on earth were Holden thinking placing it there???
I might have to try my luck over in EU and see if there any spares over there with the matching part number and hope they have the immobiliser code too.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
See if Injectronics do a refurbish exchange for these ECU's. You send yours and they supply a refurbished/repaired unit.

Worth a shot.

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
Good idea, never heard of them but I just sent them an email explaining my situation. I'll follow up with a call tomorrow afternoon.
Finger's crossed, and thanks again @VT2Commie - been great help from over 4,000kms away!

gee180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR 2006
I called Injectronics and spoke to them, so they can do a lab test/report on the ECM BUT the bummer is they will need all the modules associated with it so that means taking off and providing them the following:

1/ ECM
2/ CIM
2/ Rear electrical centre
4/ Engine bay electrical centre
5/ Dash cluster
6/ Key

Not too keen on that option right now but at least there is some sort of option.