Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Gearbox noise

Barry k

BK
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs wagon
Hi, My auto box on my 96 is making a fairly loud `whiring ` noise, really noisey in enclsosed car parks etc, the box seems to work ok,changes are smooth and pick up is good, oil level is correct and looks clean. Any ideas anyone ??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd double-check exactly where the noise is coming from - sound travels! Does it happen with the car in D but stationary?....reverse?...does it speed up when the car speeds up?

Barry k

BK
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs wagon
I'd double-check exactly where the noise is coming from - sound travels! Does it happen with the car in D but stationary?....reverse?...does it speed up when the car speeds up?

Yep,noise defo coming from gearbox,not there in n with engine running,but present when i select all other drives, when moving the noise increases with revs ??? Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the noise increases with revs, I'd suspect an exhaust leak...maybe from a header or the cat. Seeing as it's not present in D when stationary that rules out propeller shaft/centre bearing....also only thing moving in D whilst stationary is the torque converter and oil pump...rest of auto is stationary waiting to move.....possibly the flex plate is cracked/split???. Maybe engine mount allowing drive train/exhaust to rub against body.
Can you confirm that the noise increases with revs or speed i.e. when it changes gear does the noise slow down as revs drop even though car speed is the same?

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
had a few vs having a similar sound but was told by my old boss who used to work for holden that it was due to the shallowness of the auto pan all the oil slushing around. dont know if this is your problem though maybe someone else has heard of this

Barry k

BK
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs wagon
Dont think its exhaust related, the noise does slow as the revs drop as the box changes up through the gears ??