Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto headlights turning on/off repeatedly

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought (in the context of this thread) that 'auto headlights' referred to the lights either being on or off depending on the ambient light and controlled by a sensor when the switch was set to 'auto'. Of course all VT's turned their headlights off when the drivers door was open, that's not in question.. but I don't think that function is what the OP was referring to, and it's certainly not a function a VT exec has.?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought (in the context of this thread) that 'auto headlights' referred to the lights either being on or off depending on the ambient light and controlled by a sensor when the switch was set to 'auto'. Of course all VT's turned their headlights off when the drivers door was open, that's not in question.. but I don't think that function is what the OP was referring to, and it's certainly not a function a VT exec has.?
No, all good tml...it was me who misunderstood. I would be interested tho to know which Commodore series prior to VT was the first to have auto off on all their models. I remember many being critical back in the day (and I agreed) of manufacturers who preferred an audio alarm to remind you that lights were on when you got out. Why not just engineer to turn them off rather than more bells?? I also frequently drive a 2010 Mazda3 that ding, ding, dings at me rather than just look after the lights itself :rolleyes:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
would be interested tho to know which Commodore series prior to VT was the first to have auto off on all their models

hmmm, well among many commodores, the only ones pre VT I've had, are a VB, a VC and three VS'..I'm fairly certain VS did..and I'm more than certain the other two didn't..:D

I remember many being critical back in the day (and I agreed) of manufacturers who preferred an audio alarm to remind you that lights were on when you got out

I drive a Magna as a daily..and let me tell you, I would love the 'ding ding' of your Mazda3 rather than the constant 'beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep' this thing lets out when I forget to turn the lights off..totally agree with you, why the hell wouldn't they just wire in a switch to the door or something so the bloody things turn off.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Why not just engineer to turn them off rather than more bells?? I also frequently drive a 2010 Mazda3 that ding, ding, dings at me rather than just look after the lights itself :rolleyes:

OEM’s should just pick either auto lights or beeping. Not Both.
Any commodore - perfect auto lights set and forget.
Mitsubishi triton- Beep for 5 seconds then turns self off.
Nissan Micra - Constant beeping until you lock the car and then the lights turn off
Missies Mazda 3 - Afformentioned constant beeping - forgets that car wont turn the lights off on its own -come back to dead battery :mad:

Vatzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Sorry for bringing this old thread up again, apparently I forgot I posted it.

I am still having the same issue now, although it is more of an issue now due to finishing work late at night in the dark and having to drive through the hills and the auto headlights turning off randomly is fairly dangerous...

To clarify, yes, I have a VF SSV. I have already bought a brand new headlight switch and sensor from Holden.

The dash with flick up with and alternate between auto headlights on/off even in day time and even if the headlight switch is turned to on instead of auto. Sometimes it may not happen for a few weeks and sometimes it will happen a dozen times in one drive

The only thing I am yet to try is a new relay which I will buy within the next few days and hopefully that is the issue.

If it's not the relay, I am guessing there must be something wrong with the wiring somewhere...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If it's not the relay, I am guessing there must be something wrong with the wiring somewhere...

the headlights are controlled by the bcm so if it is not the relay it might be a software issue in the bcm

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What is Holden’s response to this issue, especially the bit about the headlight switch being set to ON and the headlights still going off on their own volition (a rather dangerous situation that is worthy of recall if the fault lies within BMC software).

Vatzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I haven't tried calling Holden to ask. I might need to give them a call on Monday and see what they have to say about it.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If someone comes up with a switch or SW patch to revert these to manual operation they will make some serious coin,no one i know is happy with the auto headlights.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
If someone comes up with a switch or SW patch to revert these to manual operation they will make some serious coin,no one i know is happy with the auto headlights.

I’m happy with the auto lights. I don’t need to touch my light switch at all.