Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or Manual - SS VE Series 2

Faulksy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to be Commdore SS VE Series II
Hey guys,

Got my SS VE Series 2 on order due to a stuff up with the order of first series. Was going to get it in a manual due to the AFM not being in the manual, but now AFM is going to be in both the autos and manual not sure what i should do.

I kinda wanna do the exhaust on the car and do a few mods to it.

Now the good old autos come with active select i also want to know if its kinda ilke driving a manual but without the need for a clutch.

Thanks guys, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Reading the forums about the AFM - its a hit or miss with the modifications so to play it safe I'd go for manual even though I drive 6 speed manumatic with my AFM - very happy with it as I am not planning any mods in the future

Perhaps other posters could correct me on this

wigbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV UTE M6
If u can drive a manual then that's what I would choose. Holdens auto is average to say the least. It ain't a patch on the zf box in the fords. Do the v8 justice and get it with three pedals.

johnnyv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v a6 v8
It depends where you drive, if its in traffic or most freeway and how you feel about pushing the clutch in and out. In traffic it may be more relaxing to go the auto.I have a auto v8 calais and love it. I just done tune, intake and full exhaust. Got about 80 more horsepower at wheels and sounds good.If i lived in the country i might have got a manual but i don,t and i know i would love the feel but in the end i think i would get sick of it when i have to drive in the traffic .I did a 0 to 100 and got 5.5sec thats before my tune and mods. I used my mates i phone that has a app on it.It was so easy with the auto just hit the go peddle and go.I even had stability control on .

Ash84

VE Clubsport
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ClubSport
Ive got a VE Clubby and I use the active select for when I'm slowing down/driving thru busy streets to give it a good roar/back fire.. As for taking off its not that great tends to get stuck in 1/2 gear due to wheels spinning etc etc (wont change gear)

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
manual every day of the week ! auto is cack !

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
My last three cars where all auto's, and since i got the Manual with the V8 i will never again purchase a Auto.

The difference is night and day imho.

But if you are doing a lot of city driving than an auto may be more to your liking.

The one advantage i like with the manual is it's just so responsive to throttle input.

Cheers.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Grab the manual. The autos aren't great. I personally can't stand them. Of it was a dsg box then that might make it a closer competition but as it stands, it's crap. The manual gives you much more control and helps keep you focussed. The clutch isn't heavy enough to be irritating in traffic (tried and tested in Sydney CBD peak hour) so there's nothing but positives.

When you get it, take it to an exhaust shop, get whatever system you want and get that ridiculous AFM garbage tuned out of it. Then there's no dramas.

ChrisL98

NON DONATING MEMBER
Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Get the manual, the auto's are pretty average TBH. I don't get the whole "buy a V8 with AFM to save fuel" thinking. As you're going to mod it the AFM disappears anyway.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
As you're going to mod it the AFM disappears anyway.

How so? There's plenty of people getting very good results with the AFM still enabled. Yes, you're limited in cam choice etc with the AFM but there's still options out there. Personally I think AFM is a wank, but some people insist on keeping it.