Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto or manual?

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I am thinking of getting a manual next time around. I do love the remote start of the auto and do use it a bit but I think I can give it up for a manual.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'm not suggesting you do this (for legal reasons) but have a talk with a couple of tuners first, I'm pretty sure the remote start option is still in the manual ECU, it's just turned off?

jackieboy76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6
definitely manual, feels good when your riving through the corners also they sound better

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
I had my heart set on a manual, test drove both as the mrs wanted an auto as it would be her daily. Ended up getting the auto, love the paddle shifters. Was a bit worried about throttle response, especially on the twisty roads but its miles ahead of the ZF in my falcon.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I had my heart set on a manual, test drove both as the mrs wanted an auto as it would be her daily. Ended up getting the auto, love the paddle shifters. Was a bit worried about throttle response, especially on the twisty roads but its miles ahead of the ZF in my falcon.
Wow, really? I've only driven 2 demi-recent Falcons, an FG XR6 rental & an FG2 XR6 rental; both of those were miles ahead of our VF.
Hrmm.

JAK71

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDLINE
Wow, really? I've only driven 2 demi-recent Falcons, an FG XR6 rental & an FG2 XR6 rental; both of those were miles ahead of our VF.
Hrmm.

Have to agree with you there Forg, even though the ZF 'boxes are somewhat ageing they are still far better than the commodore auto's... smoother in their delivery and not as slow in making up it's mind when changing gears, either up or down.

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
It's a good auto, shifts smoothly and quick, but the throttle response is nowhere near as good as the one in the VF. It's like it hesitates for a second, the VF goes as soon as you touch the pedal.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I have to agree on that point. Plus the ZF kick down to first is really unacceptable in a box used across the high end applications that it has been in. All said I'd take the 6l90(e) everyday of the week. Especially true if you are chasing extra ponies over stock... the ZF needs costly work to handle zee powa.

It's a good auto, shifts smoothly and quick, but the throttle response is nowhere near as good as the one in the VF. It's like it hesitates for a second, the VF goes as soon as you touch the pedal.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Again ... this is counter to my (limited) experience, with the VF it seems like unless you're starting from a standing-start, you stomp your foot & count to 3 before anything happens ... the XR6's kicked down immediately.

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
I don't mean when it changes down, I mean when your in manual mode so you're already in the right gear.