Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto To Manual Conversion

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
the easiest way to tell is the series ones have a different fuel rail system than the series 2. If you have a 1990 VN, than its most definately series 1. My plates say both 90 and 91, but its a series 1.

PS: Series 2 I am sure has the thermostat at the front of the engine whilst series 1 is at the back behind the throttle body, but like I said, just look at the fuel rails, if they are black , than series 1, if they are chrome/silver, than its a series 2.

R

Reggie

the auto computer will work fine for the manual. TRUST ME.

i have done this auto to manual conversion. if there is anyone out there who doesn;t want to be stuffed around and wants the correct information first time get in touch with me. i went through hell trying to find out this info when i wanted to do this conversion. but now i know exactly what needs to be done. what parts you will need how it will go together etc. i will help you as much as i can to make it simple..... vn 5 speeds are a good thing to have due to the fact that they go very well they are 15 years old and they will still give most cars a hurry up, and they dro[p mad burnouts..hahah.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Reggie said:

i have done this auto to manual conversion. if there is anyone out there who doesn;t want to be stuffed around and wants the correct information first time get in touch with me. i went through hell trying to find out this info when i wanted to do this conversion. but now i know exactly what needs to be done. what parts you will need how it will go together etc. i will help you as much as i can to make it simple..... vn 5 speeds are a good thing to have due to the fact that they go very well they are 15 years old and they will still give most cars a hurry up, and they dro[p mad burnouts..hahah.

May I please have all your help haha. Im wanting to do the conversion myself so i can learn more about my car and because i can afford to pay someone else to do it. Thanks mate

ssvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Vspec
Reggie said:

Have a mate that has converted his VS V6 ute to a manual. His only problem is how do you get the speedo to work? What is it you have to do to the Auto loom or computer? Will their be any other electrical problems that need to be addressed?

statesman_wagon89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Statesman Wagon( written off) VN calias 5 speed
i have a series one vn auto. Can i bolt the manual gearbox up behind this or will i have to get a manual engine instead?
i know this is a pretty basic question but i have been told so many different things in the past!!

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid

neo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY_SS_Black
Reggie - "the auto computer will work fine for the manual. TRUST ME."

I am no expert - but I HAVE put a VN 5L into my VL AND converted it to a manual (T5). You will need to change the computer - the auto causes it to miss fire a bit and run ruff. Holden also have seperate ID codes for these which further enforces a difference in computers. I have opnly found this out 12 months after doin my conversion and am peeved as they (Holden) no longer sell the computers for the 5L (5.7L rule now huh).
FYI
Neo

WaynoVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN V6 5 Speed
statesman_wagon89 said:
i have a series one vn auto. Can i bolt the manual gearbox up behind this or will i have to get a manual engine instead?
i know this is a pretty basic question but i have been told so many different things in the past!!

No you can't. You will need an adaptor for the manual flywheel to bolt to the auto engines crank. Or a manual engine, that's what I did and it was easy as. Old auto and engine out, manual engine and box in, pedal box, ECU and the short piece of loom that plugs in under the console (near ashtray) and goes down to the box, this is for speedo and reverve lights. Done it 2 years ago and haven't had a problem.