Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto to manual...... why is it such a pain?

DanoSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
:cry: The amount of wreckers i have called today is ridiculous. All i simply want is my car to be a manual without going through the effort of selling it and buying a new one. All the wreckers i called just say sorry cant help you. Seriously how many commodores are there out there, millions how many people want manual ones, lots, i know so many people have posted on here about converting auto to manual but no ones ever that good a help!!! Im from Sydney and im sure there are many others out there who are having the same problem as I am. If you have found a place that does it or a place that has the parts help me! I want to trade my auto as well but no one does that, even though auto parts are worth alot more than manual parts.
Anyway enough of my whinging, any help would be greatly appreciated GREATLY as it is so frustrating.

Cheers

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
hahaha im in the same boat as you!:w00t: :w00t:

DanoSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Frustrating

Its extremely frustrating, i called a place in brookvale called affordable wreckers who ive called before saying i work at a servo in the area which i do and our workshop gets parts off them, the first time i called they said they will try and get the stuff for me and call me back whenever, today i called but didnt say i worked at a servo and they are like no mate cant help you, honestly its just a load of crap, how hard can it be to get the parts and WHY are they so expensive :cry: Painful painful process

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
I know how you feel the auto is stuffed in my VS so I want to change it to a manual after spending some time ringing around and talking to a few people I'm going get the auto reco'd less time , effort and money...

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
how much are ya looking at to get auto reco'd???

DanoSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Has anyone here actually successfully done a manual conversion? If so how much did it cost you?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Solid_snake01 said:
Has anyone here actually successfully done a manual conversion? If so how much did it cost you?
I haven't done it, but there are heaps of people who have. I suspect you're calling the wrong places. Try someone like Mal Wood:

http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/

He's highly recommended by many people in 'the know'.

His workshop is in QLD, but he has customers as far away as Saudi Arabia, so I'm sure being in the next state is no issue.

At a guess, I'd say you're up for $3K all told. And then you can sell your auto & spare bits on Ebay.

HTH.

bbad13

bbad13
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec. Wagon
i know for a vr ute i had to get the auto reconditioned and a heavy duty shift kit put in it cost me $3500 and two days :'(

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
bbad13 said:
i know for a vr ute i had to get the auto reconditioned and a heavy duty shift kit put in it cost me $3500 and two days :'(
Yep. The 4L60's are a very expensive box to repair/replace. When mine wears out, I'm going to put a manual box in its place.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Wen I had my VS I had the auto rebuilt. Not exchanged. Only a couple years ago. Cost me 1550 and came with a 3 year 60k warrenty. Provided you serviced it yearly with them.

Was a totally different car to drive, the box was so tight.
Was the third box by then too. . . . .