Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Trans problem when hot - need a trans cooler ??

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have had my VR II v6 Auto wagon for nearly 2 weeks, and this problem has happened twice. On short trips and when the traffic is flowing free there is no problem. But when I have to go into the city, and stuck in traffic etc, the car does not want to take off from the traffic lights. It feels like the handbrake is on and I have to move the shifter to 1st gear to take off. About 10 minutes out of the city in the free flowing traffic it is ok again.

It feels like the trans is trying to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear. I put my foot down, the motor revs and the car will crawl away from the traffic lights.

I have checked the fluid level, the coolant temp gauge does no go past half. The 2 times I have had trouble have been warm days with almost 30C temperature.

Is there a problem with the trans ?? Should I fit a trans cooler ?? The sticker on the car says a trans service is due in about 7,000kms.

Many Thanks for all replies received.:bow:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
When the problem happens, I can move the shifter to 1st and the car will pull away from the traffic lights ok. The problem has only happened twice when driving through the city in traffic. About 10 minutes after leaving the city and into free flowing traffic, the problem goes away:confused:

What type/brand of tans cooler is best to go for ?? Where is the best place to mount it ??
I looked at a few today at my local auto store. The prices range from $80 for a medium sized one, to $108 for 40cm X 20cm sized cooler.

Last edited:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I have a cooler and it is mounted in front of the radiator, well... not right in front but near the corner. I suggest get the genuine part from holden or if you want search for an after market part. Go for the biggest one you can cos the small ones will not make much difference in temperature if at all.

(I learned the hard way and bought the biggest one I can find)!!

But about your problem I don't think its related entirely on trans temp. Might wanna have it checked.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
check your computer for error codes, im getting soemthign similar and TCC PWM Solenoid has failed on mine or something like that (error 83 any way) 110 for the part, but the auto shop will do a service ontop

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If everything is "normal" you do not need an extra cooler...and if you fitted one you would only be applying a band-aid - the car did not have one fitted when it came out of the factory 12 years ago so why fit one now.
First thing you need to do is get a service done - it could be as simple as fluid level low or filter blocked.....I hope so. One step at a time!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
is the engine light coming on at all?? sounds like its either in limp home mode, or its not kicking back into first when it comes to a stop...so when it takes off its only in second. if the later is the case it might be the 2nd-1st solenoid that is intermittently stuffing up when it gets really hot.
but i agree with others and say get a service asap! transmissions usually have a real hard life without much care, and services are overlooked (you never know what the person who owned it before you did with it).

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies, I will give the trans cooler a miss and see if I can get it looked at on monday.

A bit more info, the engine light does not come on when the trans is playing up. I have just checked the codes a few minutes ago and I only get 12 over and over. The trans fluid is to the top line when hot and motor running. Trans fluid looks clean on the dipstick.

When it plays up, I can still take off from a standing start very slowly. When I shift to 1st, it takes off a lot better.

What is the usual interval between auto transmission services ?? According to the sticker on the windscreen, I have about 7,000kms to go. Just trying to work out how long ago it may have been done.

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
how much do you drive it? if its driven more frequently then it'll need to be done sooner. every 30 to 50 thousand k's i think it is. or once a year is good

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
how much do you drive it? if its driven more frequently then it'll need to be done sooner. every 30 to 50 thousand k's i think it is. or once a year is good

30k to 50k is way too long, Recommended is every 20k. Have a look at your owner's manual in the service section. It will tell you everything from diff to engine and other items.

I serviced my trans every 10k and it never died on me, it was an original trans from the date the car was built, nothing rebuilt or replaced! Everything is original!!!! And my car clocked 225,000k's!!

I think it comes down to how well they are looked after and the service intervals.