Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto trans type vs ss s2

droppedpiez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2 HSV Enhanced
can anyone help im in need of a replacement trans for my ss and im unsure with the codes that are related to the trannys which is for a series 2 vs ss is it the 4hbd,the 7hbd or turbo 700 or something else any ideas???

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the VS is fitted with the 4L60e transmission.

you will need to have a look at the actual trans to see exactly which one you have. as a rough guide 95 model has the 5HDD trans, 96 model has 6HDD trans and 97 has 7HDD trans. if you grab a torch, lift the bonnet and have a look down the side of the bell housing on the passenger side from the top you should be able to see a sticker that has the code on it . the sticker is approx 100mm X 40mm with big black lettering so you should be able to read it.

it should be either 6HDD or 7HDD depending on the actual date of manufacture of the vehicle

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The V8 has a slightly different 4L60E trans to the V6 - it has a deep pan and different internal valving plus a different torque converter.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
#HDD is a V6 trans, #HBD is a V8 trans, 4HBD is a 93/94 VR trans which wont work in a VS it is missing the extra solenoid that the vs requires (VR trans are 12 pin connectors, Vs trans are 13 pin, extra pin for extra solenoid)
a 7HBD trans is 96/97 VS V8

Last edited:

droppedpiez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2 HSV Enhanced
i've had a look at the trans but couldn tsee the plate but its build date is april 96 and HSV Enhanced. so would the 7HBD be the right one?

droppedpiez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2 HSV Enhanced
ok according to the ACDelco website a 96 vsII v8 the code is 6HBD but for the HSV VSII the code is 6HSD mine is a HSV enhanced ss and im unable to see the code on my trans confused much?? to add to the problem it only slips from first to second and second to third but it only happens occasionally could it just be the solenoids???

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
just get yours rebuilt as for age of these cars means all second handys will be worn out the bands and clutches will be worn perticluly the second gear clutches

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
7HBD will fit yours, so long as you get a trans with the 13 pin connector you should be all good, (7HBD is 13 pin)

droppedpiez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2 HSV Enhanced
found the stamp on mine its a 5HBD cant afford a rebuild at the moment. Is the case size/length different from a 5HBD to a 7HBD?? could the trans in mine have been a replacement as i thought a 6HBD was meant for my car coz of the year of manufacture??