Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Transmission issue ?

74Torana69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore LH Torana VR Commodore
Hi all I’m looking for some advice on a VR acclaim. The radiator was replaced with a thick core alloy radiator. The car was driven 150klms then starting slipping in all gears. Checked transmission fluid which was way over full. Have drained to the correct amount but is still doing the same. The oil drained in slightly brown, not pink and has the slightest old smell. Combined with the slipping transmission it is running rough which has all happened at the same time, inclusive of engine light staying on. Especially revving while slipping. Does anyone have any ideas on the issue/s and would a factory radiator have more transmission area than the alloy radiator for it to be over full with transmission fluid as it definitely wasn’t overfilled before replacing the radiator and was working fine. The auto was serviced 5000ks ago. Thank you .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like the fluid is fucked. Start by changing that first.

Test the flow of fluid through the internal radiator trans cooler too.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If the fluid is that bad after so few km's, you've got to wonder:
Was it serviced correctly?
Was it used for towing and heavy work exclusively for 5000km?
Is something worn internally causing accelerated fluid wear?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the radiator was replaced and the transmission fluid was “way over full“ without a transmission service being done, my first thought would be who topped it up after the radiator swap and my second thought would be whether there is a slight coolant leak into the transmission coolant pipe within the radiator :rolleyes:.

What’s the underside of the radiator cap like, oily? was the radiator tested for leakage (both internal trans cooler and engine coolant parts) before being installed?

Failure so soon after a part has been changed will always lead me to suspect that part has contributed to the failure in some way… So doing a coolant pressure test would be my first port of call followed by (air) pressure test of the trans cooler (and flow test as Immortality said)…

If all is ok with the above tests, then I’d dump that transmission fluid, change the filter and top up with new fluid before doing another few fluid changes (or just do a full on trans flush)…

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Does your transmission plumb into your new radiator?