Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto vs manual debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
surely grandstand full of drunk bogans on side of straight road > scenic twisty roads

the bogans are those who don't appreciate cars that are made to go so fast that they HAVE to be take to straight track, they are happy to cruise with their so-so powered cars which might be classed as powerful compared to a standard Hyundai, when you get to a drag strip, it obvious you just cant handle going 100kmh max, you get the urge to take cars and engines to the limit. Who cares who owns what, if you are into proper fast cars, you go to the drag strip to appreciate them, Do you go to Summernats or Springnats, the nationals or any other 'bogan' car meet or just to the ones where you put your car up for show and stare at it. Keep in mind, I dont have a problem with manuals, autos, street cars drag cars or anything like that, I have a problem with people that cannot appreciate that other people are entitled to their own views, go to the drag strip and tell everyone there you think they are bogans, good luck getting out.

Last edited:

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
i prefer auto or also the semi-automatic transmission like in the ford ba's onwards and ve commodores, when you click it up or down to shift gears.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
the bogans are those who don't appreciate cars that are made to go so fast that they HAVE to be take to straight track, they are happy to cruise with their so-so powered cars which might be classed as powerful compared to a standard Hyundai, when you get to a drag strip, it obvious you just cant handle going 100kmh max, you get the urge to take cars and engines to the limit. Who cares who owns what, if you are into proper fast cars, you go to the drag strip to appreciate them, Do you go to Summernats or Springnats, the nationals or any other 'bogan' car meet or just to the ones where you put your car up for show and stare at it. Keep in mind, I dont have a problem with manuals, autos, street cars drag cars or anything like that, I have a problem with people that cannot appreciate that other people are entitled to their own views, go to the drag strip and tell everyone there you think they are bogans, good luck getting out.

**** you take things too seriously

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
not really, I like discussions, especially when they get heated, I cant say I lose sleep over a forum.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
having only ever driven 5 different cars 2 auto, 3 manual id have to say it depends on the car

my car is an auto VR goes alright does what i want it to do, pretty cruisy and dads VT SS(LS1) auto its was nice to drive bit dissapointing that its an auto i like the control of a manual.

the manual cars ive driven are mums pajero, the old paddock flogger gemini and a mates holden calibra
id rather have an auto in mums car i just reckon its a pain in the arse to drive, the gemi was a bit of fun mostly because its light and on grass gets sideways pretty easy, the calibra was a 2litre turbo model and went good 6 speed manual drop it back from 6th to 3rd and take off like a bat outa hell.

so summing up i prefer a manual in a "performance vehicle" and an auto in a daily flogger

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

What got you in this mindset that the only form of motorsport is drag racing in a straight line?
What about people who do circuit races, but also take their car to the drags, and run a 1/4 at full track specs. Obviously they wont be 7 sec warriors on the strip.

I appreciate all cars that are tastefully modified. Automatic transmissions are not a tasteful mod, in my opinion. Please appreciate that i'm entitled to my views that auto's aren't a tasteful mod, and therefore i overlook anything done to them and their strip times.
Personally i don't go to, nor enter any of those meets, i can go down the pub if i want drunks damaging my car, and i don't even have to drive to Canberra for it :)

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
surely grandstand full of drunk bogans on side of straight road > scenic twisty roads

Driving an auto is one thing, but driving a manual smoothly and effectively is an art.

What got you in this mindset that the only form of motorsport is drag racing in a straight line?
What about people who do circuit races, but also take their car to the drags, and run a 1/4 at full track specs. Obviously they wont be 7 sec warriors on the strip.

I appreciate all cars that are tastefully modified. Automatic transmissions are not a tasteful mod, in my opinion. Please appreciate that i'm entitled to my views that auto's aren't a tasteful mod, and therefore i overlook anything done to them and their strip times.
Personally i don't go to, nor enter any of those meets, i can go down the pub if i want drunks damaging my car, and i don't even have to drive to Canberra for it :)

1. I never said I didn't like manuals,:bang: my only thing is the quote where "driving manual is an art", no it's not, its no harder than driving auto. If you think you are a better driver because you drive a manual, wake up, you are not an artist, just another driver.

2. I've been to enough different types of racing to know that drag isn't the only one. I follow the F1, V8's, Rally, Bikes, Go-karts, Drifting, Auto's, Manuals, Manualised autos, sequential boxes, air shift boxes, ANYTHING.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
1. I never said I didn't like manuals,:bang: my only thing is the quote where "driving manual is an art", no it's not, its no harder than driving auto. If you think you are a better driver because you drive a manual, wake up, you are not an artist, just another driver.

**** you must be really cut about that statement, or else you would have let it go a few pages back where I stopped replying to avoid a **** fight. But if you insist...

1. If manual isnt harder, why do some people stear clear of them? And why isnt there just one licence for auto and manual? IMO manual does require more skill, effort, and not 'point and shoot' like and auto. Thats MY opinion, and Im sticking to it. So bite me.

2. I never said I was a ****ing artist. But you seem to be quite offended by it. I called it art, which is my opinion. I never said I was pro or talked about my level of skill in any way.

3. Im not referring to drag cars or trying to squeeze in every last millisecond down the strip. Im purely talking about street cars and the enjoyment of driving.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
**** you take things too seriously

haha yeah. And he has almost as many posts as me and I've been a member more than 5 times longer than him..(don't care about post count - just pointing out he likes to talk)

haha anyway...

I love manuals. Down to the board. However, manuals can f*ck off in peak hour traffic. Seriously, it's a 45 minute drive to uni every morning with almost bumper to bumper traffic, I can't be stuffed driving a manual in those conditions...

A daily -> Auto

Pride and joy/fun car -> Manual

However, I condtradict myself by saying I'd love to have a little Subaru Liberty (early 90's model) as a daily, manual...just something to get to uni and back, rather than constantly racking up the k's on my VS

Status
Not open for further replies.