Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic stalls?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
When first starting up from cold (usually in early morning before theres enough heat around i guess) my car is running rich (can smell fuel) and idles really really low and occasionally actually stalls?!?!

The coolant probe is busted (according to the ALDL test thing) and thus the fan comes on the moment you switch the ignition to ON (and the thermostat opens as well I'm assuming, can't hear it over the fan :)).

Would the fact that coolant would be running through the engine all the time be the problem here?

I'm at a loss, perhaps dirty injectors? (have some cleaner, going to dump that in soon enough)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i think you just answered your own question here - get a new coolant temp sensor.
without the sensor working, on a cold start it's probably reading zero and therefore adding lots of fuel to try warm up the engine - this is probably messing around with the IAC as well and then it stalls because its just too rich and there's not enough air being let in.
with the fan being on all the time, which is a safety thing as far as i know for when the pcm doesnt read any temp from the temp sensor and it'll run the fan incase its overheating, because it doesnt know whats going on - they biggest problem you'll have (besides your stalling cold starts) is that it'll be running at a cold start fuel map all the time and use lots of fuel.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Ok. Cool. I was just having to double check that :).

Just checking though.... I get "Code 15 - Coolant temperature Sensor - Voltage Too High" when I short the ALDL. This obviously means the coolant temperature probe is shot :). However I was thinking voltage too high might mean that it was going to think the engine was hot?

Either way, if no one can come up with anything other than "its all the coolant probes fault" I'll be really happy :)

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah but it really shouldnt make it stall, in my old VN it used to stall n not run right when cold, got a TB clean n she was sweet, was just crap built up on the sensor in the throttle body.

I had no thermostat, car ran dead on zero when u were moving.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Rrrr. Well, it runs rich on starting while cold in the morning and stalls :).

I did clean the IAC not too long ago to so its not that.... I'm just going to pray is the coolant sensor :)

Need to get down and order a new one sometime soon I guess -sigh-

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
yeah it would play up all the time, if the puta was playin up.

The only way to check is to get another puta n put it in and see if it makes any difference