Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automatic transmission shift linkage

vzrath

Gone Fishin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXEC Wagon
I am in the process of doing part of the 45000km service items for my vz wagon and have noted that one of the requirements is to "Clean and lubricate automatic transmission shift linkage".
It sounds easy , but I have no idea what is actually involved.
If someone has done this before, can you please take me through a step by step process.
On a much sadder note, as part of the 45000km service, I attempted to change the fuel filter, what the hell was I thinking, all I managed to do was to break off the plastic clips that are supposed to just push in.
My son heard the language from inside the house.
Any help on rectifying this stuff up would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the anticipated help.
Kev.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Kev. I am going to do this for my 150,000km service. I'd guess you just wipe it down and apply some PH Grease, the white stuff you use on the door checks.

Fuel filter connections, which one did you break the one from the fuel tank or the one going to the engine? If you broke the one going to the engine the spare part is the whole pipe and would be a bugger to change.
If it's the one fromthe tank that is just a short hose you can buy, it connects to the tank with the same clip and you can change it, maybe need to drop the tank I am not sure.
If it's the one going to the engine you can buy the shorter tank to filter pipe and cut it to the length needed and try to push it over the metal pipe going to the engine. I would thik you can do it if you put it in some hot water or heat it up with a hot air gun first, just be wary of fuel vapour and sparks if you try that.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
cant help with the clips but the linkage is just that, obviously your looking under the car, theres a metal rod that connects from the gear selector to the auto transmission (from memory into a white plastic thingo). Because its exposed to the elements I suppose they want you to lubricate it, although that said mines never been done and I cant say Ive heard of anyones being done.

Still it wouldn't hurt to do if you can be bothered to climb under the car as it is essentially a moving part

vzrath

Gone Fishin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXEC Wagon
Thanks for the reply guys.
I will do the selector clean and lube on my next day off. It sounds nice and simple.
The fuel filter thing can wait till I'm in the right frame of mind.
I appreciate your help.

Kev.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Same question but would appreciate a locational image on the web if someone knows where one is for a 5 speed 5L40-E.
Also, what is the correct grease ? Not White Lithium?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
cant help with the clips but the linkage is just that, obviously your looking under the car, theres a metal rod that connects from the gear selector to the auto transmission (from memory into a white plastic thingo). Because its exposed to the elements I suppose they want you to lubricate it, although that said mines never been done and I cant say Ive heard of anyones being done.

Still it wouldn't hurt to do if you can be bothered to climb under the car as it is essentially a moving part
It gets itemized on our yearly service, all that l knew was that it was on the auto. So thanks for sharing. At least I have a good idea what it looks like.