Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

" B " cast heads question

dave-the-sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7 calais
g'day
this question has probably been asked a million times, i have had a search thru lots of pages and not found the answers i need.
i have a set of brock " B " cast heads with the HDT stamp on them and i also have the matching brock inlet manifold and a "QT" engine block.

my questions are...

can you use VN style heads and inlet manifold on the earlier QT block without modification?

or will a vn injection manifold work on the b heads?

my b heads my be better used on a brock vk as i am building a turbo/gas wb ute

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the early heads have a siamese exhaust port setup so you get a valve arrangement that looks like: int ex int ex ex int ex int

for the later VN heads they changed the arrangement to int ex int ex int ex int ex.

because of the differnt valve arrangements in the heads you ahve to either use all the early head bits i,e heads, intake and exhaust manifolds as well as the cam or late engine bits

late model heads will bolt onto a early block but would require the other bits to go with it. the VN heads do flow more and have more potential with porting.

if you have a matching numbers brock engine (block/heads intake etc) keep it together

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
can you use VN style heads and inlet manifold on the earlier QT block without modification?
Yes however you will need a VN style intake manifold, exhaust and camshaft to suit. There are many options of each to choose from.

or will a vn injection manifold work on the b heads?
No - the port spacings are different and will not fit.

my b heads my be better used on a brock vk as i am building a turbo/gas wb ute[/quote]
Even stock VN style heads will murder the older style heads for potential hp unless your B casts have had some serious work done to them.

Reaper

dave-the-sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 5.7 calais
thanks for your reply, i might keep it all together.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Even stock VN style heads will murder the older style heads for potential hp unless your B casts have had some serious work done to them.

aint that the truth :( even just the simple fact that we can only go 1.94 inlet valves if we want unleaded seats, whereas VN have 2.02 from factory and have a tiny bit of room to move. (the 2.02 seats cut into a water gallery)

i shoulda just gone VN early in my build rather than finding out the hard way after buying extractors/manifold/cam to suit old heads. now i am stuck looking at 2 grand yella terras in the hope they will squeese more HP out.