Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B & M pro ratchet install in vy ss ute need help!!

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Has anyone installed a b&m pro ratchet shifter in a vy ss ute with a a4, the site says they will work with that box, ive pulled the center console out and the complete shifter mech is held in with 4 wheel stud type bolts, just wondering how to remove them?? you cant from the topside, is there nuts on the underside? do you need to remove the box to get to them? going to get some stands so i can get under and have a better look shortly but wondering if someones done this already? also the shifter mech is connected to the gearbox with linkages rather than by cable like the b & m does this affect anything? and one last thing, the neutral & reversing switches i cant see them on the top side of the selector so im gathering there underneath somewhere. Any help or info would be appreciated..

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Why on earth do you want to do this??? Oh well, the best place to access the rev & neutral/park/start wires is they are in one of the 3 Engine harness plugs that connect the engine loom to the main wiring harness, just tap into them , you may need a wiring diagram for the right colours, .
The 4 bolts are actually studs that are welded to the body , you will have to grind them off or hacksaw them off , but place the B&M in position first you may find they are not in the way , leave the ones that arent in the way in case you ever want to return the car back to normal some day.
The B&M comes with a bracket to mount to the auto to allow the cable to work the selector lever coming out of the transmission housing , make sure you fit the right bracket , I think they have 2 or 3 brackets in the kit, but its all in the fitting instructions, read them thoroughly.

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i dunno why everyone is so anti ratchet shifters in commodores, maybe for a stock box yeah, but ive had work done to mine, makes driving a little more interactive (yeah yeah should have got a manual), each to there own i guess, the install was a breeze, not even a need to hook up a neutral rev switches as there selected off the gearbox not the shifter, the studs that hold the standard mech in just had nuts on the underside, undo them & the link arm and it comes straight out, just made a plate to cover the hole, mounted it drilled a hole for the cable, few minor mods to the console, followed the linkage and adjustment instructions, and bam, works perfectly, all hidden under the standard console without having that big bulky shithouse looking ally cover, cheers for ur advise anyways, must have been a later model commodore ur talking about.