Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B&M Short shifter for a vy ss 6 speed question again

deanos70

Reaction score
Sorry to ask , i have searched and got contradicting answers

Does the gearbox need to be lowered to fit the bm short shifter ? or can it be done in car ?
i know how to remove the gear stick surround and boot from the console ,

next question , ive tried to get my gear knob off before and had no luck
some say it twists off, some say dont twist as it has plastic locating lugs
others say just pull it straight up its sikaflexed on , others say there is some type
or rubber ring you break to get it off, if so how do you hold it back on the new shifter

anyone that has done it have a straight answer or pics please

cheers

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
1st you shouldnt have to remove the shifter knob, just remove the 2 bolts that holds the shifter stick to the shifter mechanism.
But if you do want to remove the knob it pulls straight up (dont twist or you will break the locating tabs in the knob) and yes it will be glued on so pull hard.

When i installed my ripshifter i lowered the trans as the bolts holding the shifter mechanism in towards the front of the car are impossible to get to, Just undo the trans crossmember bolts and lower it with a jack.

deanos70

Reaction score
Axemurderer101 thank you for the fast reply and info , to put my stock gear knob on the short shifter its just a matter of a bit
of glue or sikaflex to hold it on there with the locating lug

1st you shouldnt have to remove the shifter knob, just remove the 2 bolts that holds the shifter stick to the shifter mechanism.
But if you do want to remove the knob it pulls straight up (dont twist or you will break the locating tabs in the knob) and yes it will be glued on so pull hard.

When i installed my ripshifter i lowered the trans as the bolts holding the shifter mechanism in towards the front of the car are impossible to get to, Just undo the trans crossmember bolts and lower it with a jack.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
You should be able to get away without using glue or sikaflex as the knob does clip into the shifter, just put it back on and if later on it feels loose or rattles then put a little sikaflex in it.

deanos70

Reaction score
Did anyone put the optional 2 springs in the base of the B&M shifter , for more self-centreing action, as the install booklet says ?

any other tips or tricks to install ?